Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 360deg Mosaic From "bad Place"
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
dilo
This is a 360 degree assembly from Sol454 PanCam half-size images (hey, guys, this is the widest images I ever made: >11kpixel! ); horizon tilt was deliberately left in order to measure it.

Scale is 0.55 mrad or 0.0315 deg/pixel and, based on the assumption that center of Voyager crater is approximately in the Noth direction, I obtained some interesting orientation data:
when opportrunity stalled, it was going approximatively in the south direction (azimut=180°).
Azimut of Viking crater (center)... 8.9°
Azimut of most depressed horizon... 138.8°
Herebus visible margin............. 181°-193°
Opportunity tilt................... 3.65°
"bad" dune orientation............. 34.5°-214.5°(obtained using also navCam images)

Azimut of most depressed horizon is compatible with a positive rover pith angle (center of rover body didn't reach exact dune crest).
Nirgal
wow !
this is one of the most impressive views of the wavy Meridiani Sea of Sand
we have seen yet smile.gif

( hope, it will not be the final one for Oppy though wink.gif

may Oppy's last pan be a 360 of the dunes at the bottom of Victoria ! )
dilo
QUOTE (Nirgal @ May 5 2005, 10:51 PM)
wow !
this is one of the most impressive views of the wavy Meridiani Sea of Sand
we have seen yet smile.gif

( hope, it will not be the final one for Oppy though wink.gif

may Oppy's last pan be a 360 of the dunes at the bottom of Victoria ! )

I hope too! rolleyes.gif
Tman
Nice work! Impressive width and I think the quality of such downsamples is satisfactory for a pan. May you try an attempt with PTGui or do you abandon (with) it sad.gif
dilo
QUOTE (Tman @ May 6 2005, 02:28 PM)
Nice work! Impressive width and I think the quality of such downsamples is satisfactory for a pan. May you try an attempt with PTGui or do you abandon (with) it  sad.gif

Hi Tman, I didn't abandoned PTgui (I still have some problems in order to optimize it). However, for PanCam images, I found isn't very necessary, because distorsion is so small that manual stitching is good too and faster!... wink.gif
I think I will make a flat-horizon version,... hey you and Nirgal could try to colorize it! rolleyes.gif
Edward Schmitz
That one dune to the left is intense. It seems much bigger than the rest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.