Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arrived At Ksc
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
djellison
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_im..._arrive_ksc.mov

Approx 1Mb smile.gif

I almost wanted to put 2001 Space Odyssey music in the bgrnd as those doors opened smile.gif

Doug
lyford
QUOTE (djellison @ May 2 2005, 09:27 AM)
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_im..._arrive_ksc.mov

Approx 1Mb smile.gif

I almost wanted to put 2001 Space Odyssey music in the bgrnd as those doors opened smile.gif

Doug

Very cool - but with the fast motion time lapse webcam footage, I think Benny Hill music sometimes is better. laugh.gif

Hate to be the one to have to sign for that package.....
Redstone
Great little movie, Doug. biggrin.gif

I assume we're looking at the folded solar panels in the later images? (The big bluish black things.)

There are some hi-res pictures of the container being unloaded and transported on the KSC mediaarchive. But none of the S/C yet.

Under 100 days to launch! ohmy.gif

Waiting...waiting... smile.gif
djellison
Yeah - the black parts are the back of the solar arrays I'd imagine.

It needs a nice mylar coat before it'll look cool smile.gif

Doug
Redstone
Upcoming milestones, according to the NASA press release:

May
Tests to check MRO-DSN communications
Atlas V transported to Vertical Integration Facility (VIF) and erected

June
MRO HGA deployment checks
MRO solar array deployment checks
Centaur moved to VIF and mounted atop Atlas V first stage.

July
MRO hydrazine fuelling
Atlas V-Centaur rolled to launch pad for wet dress rehearsal countdown, then returned to VIF

July 26
MRO encapsulated in Atlas V fairing

July 29
MRO and fairing moved to VIF and mounted on Atlas V-Centaur

August 1
Functional tests of MRO

August 2-8
Final closeouts

August 10
Roll to launch pad and launch at 7:53 am EDT (2 hour launch window)

Cross your fingers that all goes smoothly!
djellison
Looks like they're taking off a solar array (the umm, err, +Y, err, Sbrd array)

Doug
Redstone
High resolution pictures of MRO have appeared on the KSC media archive. Click on this link and select page 3 (or find the page with pictures from May 2nd). No HGA installed yet, but I was interested to see three small thrusters on the underside of the spacecraft. See the image on this page especially. Is this triple redundancy for orbit insertion? I know Cassini had a fully redundant engine, but three seems a bit excessive. smile.gif
MahFL
Maybe they need 2 engines for insertion and one is a backup ?
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Redstone @ May 4 2005, 08:50 AM)
High resolution pictures of MRO have appeared on the KSC media archive. Click on this link and select page 3 (or find the page with pictures from May 2nd). No HGA installed yet, but I was interested to see three small thrusters on the underside of the spacecraft. See the image on this page especially. Is this triple redundancy for orbit insertion? I know Cassini had a fully redundant engine, but three seems a bit excessive.  smile.gif

You think three is excessive? Just wait till I tell you that there are infact six! smile.gif

See: http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/mro/mission/tl_moi.html

James
djellison
They're probably just taking the Odyssey engine design and duplicating it to make up for the larger mass - or something similar.

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.