Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (not) Moving Again
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
maycm
Definately turning here

djellison
No moving - thats just the different p.o.v. from the left camera and the right camera smile.gif
akuo
QUOTE (maycm @ May 2 2005, 12:49 PM)
Definately turning here

No we aren't. Those are just two images taken with the left and right pancams in the same direction. Because the separation of the cameras is quite large, there is a big parallax effect when imaging objects close to the cameras.

Also the site and drive number are the same for both images (55,DI), as it has been since sol 446.
maycm
Crud!

Sorry everyone. n00b mistake.
jvandriel
Here is a panorama from Opportunity's wheeltracks.

jvandriel
tedstryk
Great work!
dilo
A picture mosaic taken in the opposite direction ("front" side of the dune) on Sol452 (Pancam/L247 filters):

Many "color" images taken on the same Sol! I tried to combine two taken on the same direction about 6 hours apart, in order to better visualize the dune colors on both sides...

Finally, a "psychedelic" experiment on the same images in order to visualize slope through colors...

I hope can be useful... cool.gif
MahFL
Nice images, I like the 3rd one. Do we know how far the horizon is in those shots ?
Gray
Very interesting. What do you make of the light and dark bands that seem to parallel the ripple crest? They show up best in the middle image.
dilo
QUOTE (MahFL @ May 3 2005, 12:28 AM)
Nice images, I like the 3rd one. Do we know how far the horizon is in those shots ?

You can judge by yourself: herebelow I re-scaled mosaic in order to compare with a Navcam image (Sol446)... farthest dune appear very close to horizon (about half degree), in direction of Erebus!
dilo
QUOTE (Gray @ May 3 2005, 12:32 AM)
Very interesting.  What do you make of the light and dark bands that seem to parallel the ripple crest?  They show up best in the middle image.

Bands differs more in terms of saturation than toanlity, I tried to enhance colors in top image (where up to me they are more evident); further enhancement in the right enlargement:
wyogold
QUOTE (jvandriel @ May 2 2005, 01:40 PM)
Here is a panorama from Opportunity's wheeltracks.

jvandriel

holy horseshoe image batman.... blink.gif now that looks complicated. unsure.gif

good work.
Gray
Thanks Dilo. I a bit baffled by those dunes. dvandorn in a different thread (Plan B ...) thinks that the narrow parallel ridges that are perpendicular to the crest of the ridge are an indication that the dunes are being eroded, rather than in a state of active deposition.

I'm not sure what that means about those bands of color parallel to the ripple crest that your images so nicely highlight. Perhaps they represent internal bedding on the dune, or perhaps they represent some process of surficial dust accumulation on the downwind side of the dunes.
jvandriel
Panorama of Opportunity and part of his surrounding on Sol 456 taken with the Pan Cam.

jvandriel
Bob Shaw
I have to say that as soon as I saw the etched look on the side of the dune, I thought 'erosion' too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.