Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Eclipse
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
djellison

Doug
jamescanvin
And another, better this time smile.gif

JC.
djellison
Looks like they cant get pancam frames taken quick enough to do this properly ohmy.gif

None at the spirit site yet though

Doug
Baltic
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Mar 11 2004, 10:06 AM)
And another, better this time  smile.gif

Very nice! This rover really is a stargazer! smile.gif
jamescanvin
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 11 2004, 10:28 AM)
Looks like they cant get pancam frames taken quick enough to do this properly ohmy.gif

Yes it would be nice to see a proper annular eclipse.

Does anyone have any idea how common these eclipses are? I'm guessing were in an 'eclipse season' right now and they are not going to keep coming so often.

JC.
djellison
I think it's only a 6 week eclipse season - but I imagine it might come around again before mission-end

Doug
jmknapp
The satellites are very nearly on the equator (inclinations of 1 and 1.7 degrees) so the eclipse seasons coincide with the equinoxes, when the sun crosses said equator. The equinox was last Friday.
cassioli
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Mar 11 2004, 10:44 AM)
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 11 2004, 10:28 AM)

Yes it would be nice to see a proper annular eclipse.

Does anyone have any idea how common these eclipses are? I'm guessing were in an 'eclipse season' right now and they are not going to keep coming so often.

JC.

I have a veeeery old Astronomy program (dated 1993!!!), which can easily calculates oppositions and conjunctions between every Solar System object. It's named Expert Astronomer, is a commercial program, and I payed around 20$ for it smile.gif , but it's great.

I made an approximate calculation of march Martian Deimos eclipses, and I obtained these results:
(DATE time separation altitude)
2/mar/2004 9:33PM 37.2' 17 deg
4/mar/2004 3:54AM 19.1' 69 deg
9/mar/2004 5:20AM 53.0' 79 deg
10/mar/2004 11:42AM 1.2° 8 deg

I used 1.95S , 5.53W coordinates for Opportunity position, but I think they are not enough accurate, as the graphical simulation of the eclipse... actually does not show an eclipse, but just a Sun-Deimos proximity.
Where could I find a REALLY accurate Opportunity position?

How can I know the exact date/time of already happened&photographed Martian eclipses?

Luca

P.S.
Maybe AstronomyLabs, an old freeware program can also do this calculation, but actually I didn't try it ( I remember it could for Earth/Sun/Moon eclipses).
jamescanvin
QUOTE (cassioli @ Mar 11 2004, 06:59 PM)
How can I know the exact date/time of already happened&photographed Martian eclipses?

A lot of infomation, including the time the picture was taken, is encoded in the image filenames.

A useful little program for extracting this has been posted to this forum, see

http://mer.rlproject.com/index.php?showtopic=109

JC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.