Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sol398 Revisited In Color
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Nirgal
well, we havn't been blessed with much new images from the rovers for a while...
so I browsed through the existing ones.
One of Oppy's Navcam-Panoramas
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA07464
catched my imagination.

A lonely rover in the middle of this incredible vast and barren ocean of sand,
called Meridiani Planum:

High resolution download here (400 KB)
http://mitglied.lycos.de/user73289/misc/desertplanet_jpg.jpg
Click to view attachment

The original image is part of a Navcam-Panorama. So I had to colorize it
from plain b/w without multi-filter information.
The detail view of the rover tracks shows how I tried to improve the
colorization to match as close as possible the "real" i.e. multi-filter composed images:

special thanks to Daniel Crotty (slinted) whose excellent color image gallery
are a great inspiration for chosing the martian color shades & hues ... smile.gif
Nix
Lovely... smile.gif the scene has a very desolate feel and 'The Desert Planet' is an appropriate title for this image. Keep'em coming Nirgal!
Nico
Tman
Irradiated by Tman (couldn't overcome the temptation too) biggrin.gif

http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/desertplanet_jpg.jpg
Nirgal
QUOTE (Tman @ Apr 26 2005, 04:40 PM)
Irradiated by Tman (couldn't overcome the temptation too) biggrin.gif

http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/desertplanet_jpg.jpg

that's getting better all the time smile.gif
I always thought there's something missing in the middle of the
horizon ... to make the feeling not _that much_ desolate smile.gif

BTW.: which progr./plugin are you using for the lens-flare-effect. ?

P.S.: have you already seen the "real" martian lens flares at
[url]http://www.lyle.org/~markoff/[url]

there are plenty of them in the many sky pancam shots.

So this effect in the image does not seem too far fetched.

Also the color of the sunrise has that right slightly bluish cast this time wink.gif
Tman
Yes, I've already noticed this real lens flares, but not yet in this beautiful manner as by Daniel.

I get these "suns" with a plugin for photoshop. In German it be called "Blendenflecke". I dont know the English word for it. If you speak German you can google accordingly: http://www.google.de/search?as_q=Blendenfl...&as_sitesearch=

The bluish part seems not to be exactly right rolleyes.gif , but quickie it wasn't possible else.
slinted
Wow, I'm really impressed with what you're able to do with the black and white images with no color information. You both certainly have a good artistic eye for this!

I'm struggling with how best to present the sky images with context as to where they're looking, and where the sun is at that point in the day. As Doug mentioned in another thread, we really haven't seen images of the whole sky, but they do take repeated sequences of 2 or 3 images aiming at certain points in the sky, over multiple sols.
We've got millions of pixels of horizon sky, and much less looking up at various angles, and various times of day. One way to present what we do have might be a polar projection centered on the zenith with the circle representing the whole sky. Any thoughts on what would be helpful for you in your imaging work in this regard?

The changes over the course of the mission, for both rovers, seems to be fairly significant as well. Between seasonal changes, and dust levels dropping as the missions progressed (at least over the first 270 sols), the gradient appears to become much sharper (very bright near the sun, and getting dark quickly as you move away from the sun). For sols 180-270, the images of the horizon facing away from the sun for both Spirit and Opportunity show a sky darker than the ground. It is quite a striking and somewhat foreign concept. I'm hoping the projections of the sky will present this effect more clearly than I can with words.

Finally, a word of caution with regards to the colors I have on my site for the sky. I have less faith in them than I do with the colors of ground objects for a couple reasons. First off, the 3 filter formula I'm using are 'trained' to get as many pixels right as possible, and since the sky isn't imaged as much, the training doesn't weight them as heavily as the ground objects. I'm hoping to get something worked in shortly that'll lessen this effect, by training different equations specifically suited for the contents of the image. With that, I'll be putting up a large number of other sky images which aren't there already, the L3 L5 L7 combos. As of right now, they're coming out quite bizarre so I didn't post them up at all.

Secondly, those images which are very close to the sun end up being rescaled automatically for brightness. Spectrally, the sun itself and the area around it turns out heavier in the blue spectrum than any of its surroundings, but in reality the human eye looking at that part of the sky would bleach the colors to white. Images like this don't deserve to have a hue at all in terms of what we'd actually perceive, so take them with a big grain of salt.
glennwsmith
Great work Nirgal.

Glenn
4th rock from the sun
QUOTE (slinted @ Apr 26 2005, 06:38 PM)
We've got millions of pixels of horizon sky, and much less looking up at various angles, and various times of day.  One way to present what we do have might be a polar projection centered on the zenith with the circle representing the whole sky.  Any thoughts on what would be helpful for you in your imaging work in this regard?

The changes over the course of the mission, for both rovers, seems to be fairly significant as well.  Between seasonal changes, and dust levels dropping as the missions progressed (at least over the first 270 sols), the gradient appears to become much sharper (very bright near the sun, and getting dark quickly as you move away from the sun).  For sols 180-270, the images of the horizon facing away from the sun for both Spirit and Opportunity show a sky darker than the ground.  It is quite a striking and somewhat foreign concept.  I'm hoping the projections of the sky will present this effect more clearly than I can with words.

Hi slinted,

Congratualtions or the latest update on your site !

I'd like to see those projections! Perhaps we could integrate all this data into 3 or 4 "martian sky" projections representative of low Sun, high Sun, clear atmosphere, hazy atmosphere, etc.

Perhaps I can help with some Viking stuff. I was playing around with those images they do show a lot of sky, but the cameras must be corrected for a vertical brighness gradient.
wyogold

[/quote]

that's getting better all the time smile.gif
I always thought there's something missing in the middle of the
horizon ... to make the feeling not _that much_ desolate smile.gif

BTW.: which progr./plugin are you using for the lens-flare-effect. ?

in Photoshop 6 the lens flair is

filter>render>lens flair

here is one of dougs great pans with a flair added from photoshop just for demonstration. I used quite a high setting just cause it made it look cool. You could decrease the brightness to more simulate the real thing.

doug I hope you don't mind. unsure.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.