Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ranger 3
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Earth & Moon > Lunar Exploration
BYEMAN
Ranger 3 prelaunch preparations with emphasis on the lunar capsule.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAmvNL
Phil Stooke
Very nice, thanks!

And to extend the story, here are the impact site targets for the mission. There were 4 days in the launch period - outside that the lighting was not suitable. For any day the point of vertical descent is shown (allowing nested imaging) - those were pretty much the targets for Rangers 3 and 4, but for Ranger 5 they were expanded to stay closer to the terminator. For day 1 the spacecraft would be directed at the 'reference target' and then deflected to hit either the primary or alternative targets, whichever was most reachable. I think the other days show the primary targets.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Just noticed... the thread is titled Ranger 5 but the Flickr page is titled Ranger 3. My post was about Ranger 5... I hope that is what was intended.

Phil
BYEMAN
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 3 2023, 01:25 AM) *
Just noticed... the thread is titled Ranger 5 but the Flickr page is titled Ranger 3. My post was about Ranger 5... I hope that is what was intended.

Phil

It was suppose to be Ranger 3. Sorry about that. I will have a Ranger 5 thread.

Topic title edited- Admin
Phil Stooke
OK, so here are the Ranger 3 and 4 targets for 4 dates in the launch period for each mission. Each site allows for a vertical descent so the low resolution images would be nested. These early cameras were far less capable than the later (missions 6-9) Ranger camera systems.

Phil

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.