Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Traverse to the Delta, sols 379-414
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Perseverance- Mars 2020 Rover
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Phil Stooke
Starting a new thread as we leave the landing site and start the drive around Seitah. It will probably be quite fast unless something interesting turns up in the ejecta of the craters along the path.

Here is a circular panorama for sol 379, already north of the landing site. Maybe there will be some drive-by shots of the landing site itself.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Sol 380 - the JPL map has not been updated yet but this circular view shows we have moved 200 m or more into the smooth area northeast of the last position. Easy driving here. We could see a record-setting drive next time.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Still no map but the location is about here.

Phil

Click to view attachment
xflare
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 17 2022, 06:25 AM) *
Still no map but the location is about here.

Phil

Click to view attachment

Looks like perfect driving terrain. Might we get some record breaking drives?
Phil Stooke
Maybe! But not today. There is a sol 381 panorama but it looks identical to the sol 380 view. Perhaps a drive failed and the end of drive imaging happened anyway.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Sol 382, another nice drive east and a bit north.

Phil

Click to view attachment
tau
Approaching the La Orovata crater on sol 383 with a drive of about 220 m.
Estimated rover position by comparing Navcam and HiRISE images: 77.4619°E 18.4537°N
Green line: planned traverse

Click to view attachment
StargazeInWonder
I'm beginning to anticipate that April (more or less, depending on unpredictable opportunistic science stops and/or obstacles in the path) will be this amazing sequence of gradually improving imagery of the delta outcrops, with every few days leading to an incremental but noticeable improvement, a bit like the first approach of Jupiter, Saturn, Pluto, etc. by Voyager or New Horizons. And maybe there'll be something remarkable in those images from ~150 meters away, or maybe it will just look like sedimentary layers with nothing out of the ordinary until the instruments get right onto the delta outcrops several months from now. We just don't know, but the potential is tantalizing.
PaulH51
Thanks Tau...

Sol 383: 4-tile L-NavCam

Looks like we may have just entered the 'Teide' map quadrangle smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Paul. I used your image and the rest of the panorama to make my circular view for sol 383. The crater rim is obvious now.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
That puts us here...

Phil

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 382 Navcam panoramic. Very lovely !

vikingmars
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Mar 20 2022, 02:08 PM) *
Sol 382 Navcam panoramic. Very lovely !

What a nice sunset pan : the wheels tracks are impressive !
Thank you Damia smile.gif
tau
Sol 383 Mastcam-Z panorama part 1 (west) . . .

Click to view attachment
tau
. . . and part 2 (northwest)

Click to view attachment
PaulH51
Sol 384: 3 end of drive tiled Navcam's from the available image set at this time. Roughly assembled in MS-ICE and de-greened

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Sean
Click here for the full panorama from sol 383 in 4k on Youtube

Details

Phil Stooke
Very spectacular, Sean! What a great site this is.

Here is the sol 384 panorama in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And the next sol... 385.

Phil

Click to view attachment
vikingmars
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 22 2022, 12:33 AM) *
And the next sol... 385.
Phil

Thank you very much Phil for the views.
I hope that we will have soon a sneak peek of the interior of the La Orotava crater smile.gif
Ant103
Sol 385 Navcam panorama. I don't think we will be seeing the interior of the crater…

charborob
Sol 385 LMastcam-Z:
Click to view attachment
Explorer1
There's a gap in the rim a few dozen metres to north, which might allow a glimpse inside.
Phil Stooke
Sorry, no look inside the crater (except possibly a drive-by). In fairness, like Spirit's view inside Bonneville, it probably wouldn't show very much.

I say 'no look' because Perseverance is now north of the crater. I haven't done a detailed analysis yet but the raw Navs show an unobstructed view of Santa Cruz plus a distant crater rim to the north, which will be Port Angeles.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Here is the sol 386 panorama in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
And sol 387. The rim of Port Angeles crater is visible to the north (top).

Phil

Click to view attachment
Sean
Some preliminary views from 388_MZL...

Each image has a slightly different image process applied.
Phil Stooke
This is the view on sol 388, moving very quickly through this interesting landscape.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 386 Navcam panoramic. A special one because THEY TOOK THE SKY, again !

So :

• Panoramic :

• Immersive version :

Phil Stooke
Very nice! Here is the sol 389 panorama in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
marsbug
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Mar 25 2022, 05:57 PM) *
Sol 386 Navcam panoramic. A special one because THEY TOOK THE SKY, again...

Stunning, thank you for sharing!
tau
Sol 382 Mastcam-Z filters 1 to 6 multispectral principal components false-color panorama

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 389 Navcam panoramic. We roving close to a little unnamed crater.

Toma B
Is there a reason for this pause in releasing raw images from Mars2020 that I am unaware of? The last raw image was from sol 389 and now it's sol 394. Is there some software update going on or what? I even tried to look on social media sites and there is not a single word about it.
I can still remember MER Spirit and its LOS in the first few sols on Mars, and I hope it is nothing like that this time?
Phil Stooke
No public information at the moment. Sol 394 images just came down.

Phil
Phil Stooke
And here is the panorama for sol 394 in circular form.

Phil

Click to view attachment
MarkL
[quote name='Phil Stooke' date='Mar 30 2022, 11:35 PM' post='256699']
And here is the panorama for sol 394 in circular form.

Phil

Phil thanks as always for the amazing work you do for us all.

What is a good way to view these circular pans? Do you use viewing software that rotates the image through 360 degrees?

Mark
tau
Sol 385 Mastcam-Z
What could that bright thing on La Orotava crater wall be?
A piece of hardware lost or dropped during descent and landing?
A piece of Martian rock that was hurled here from elsewhere by a meteorite impact?
A meteorite? It doesn't look like a meteorite.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Sean
Some enhanced / extended sky shots from the MZL_00388 panorama...

HSchirmer
QUOTE (tau)
A piece of hardware lost or dropped during descent and landing?
Nope. Too big.
QUOTE (tau)
A meteorite?
Nope. Shape and how it seems to 'fit' against a back rock suggests in situ.
QUOTE (tau)
A piece of Martian rock that was hurled here from elsewhere by a meteorite impact?
Eh, perhaps, but as above, based on what appears to be a 'fit' to the rock behind, it would have to be hurled, buried, then excavated.

QUOTE (tau)
My initial guess would be a pegmatite pipe.
When molten rock cools, the result is much like leaving a soda or beer in the freezer too long, aka "apple jack" (early distillers let hard cider freeze out the water, then poured out the concentrated liquor)*

When molten rock chambers cool, they 'freeze out' minerals which snow down, until you're left with a magma enriched in the material with the lowest freezing point- which is usually enriched in metals, often white, and called "pegmatite".

*disclaimer- don't try at home. Freeze distillation doesn't separate methanol (bad-go blind) from ethanol (good, you've made apple brandy/schnapps). To separate methanol from ethanol, you need heat distillation and condensation (e.g. a moonshine still)
stevesliva
When molten rock chambers cool, they 'freeze out' minerals which snow down,

We recently got a cider press, but tis the season for: the mineral "sand" aka niter that precipitates from cooling maple syrup. (We pulled our 10 taps after getting about 120gallons of sap.) Cider is a fall thing.

You can watch it snow niter, but I think you're seeing sugar on a tiny bit of unspecified "mineral." I'm not sure.
tau
Sol 385 Mastcam-Z right eye filter 0 (RGB), principal components false colors
Landscape with rock garden on the crater wall of La Orotava
The false-color bluish gray of the rocks varies a bit: in vesicular rocks it tends towards violet, in layered rocks towards turquoise.

Click to view attachment
serpens
QUOTE (tau @ Mar 31 2022, 02:57 PM) *
Sol 385 Mastcam-Z

Ejecta yes, but being situated on the crater wall probably home grown. With Séítah seemingly the remnant of a lava lake or magma chamber, fractional crystallization would have resulted in layering of olivine, plagioclase feldspar etc and the impact may have breached that level. One thing about the crater. Did it impact the boundary of Séítah before the crater floor was covered by lava, embaying the crater wall or after? Given that the Séítah side seems much more eroded I would punt for after.
Phil Stooke
Here is the sol 395 panorama in circular form. Up on top of a little ridge.

Mark, I don't have special viewing software. The images are made and viewed in Photoshop. I use these images to compare with a HiRISE image to find locations or identify features> So I just view it as a flat image and compare it with another flat image. I suppose there might be other ways to view this but I'm not clever enough to do that.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
My take is that it is a piece of ejecta from the fabled Whiterock Formation.

--Bill
StargazeInWonder
On the third image of Sean's post #39, the MZL_00388 panorama, there is a dark downslope flow material that looks a little like the gullies seen elsewhere. Perhaps these are much smaller, different, and just dust, but they are eye-catching. I don't think we've seen anything like this on Mars before from the ground.
tau
Sol 395 Mastcam-Z panorama with enhanced colors
The prominent cliff behind the rounded hill on the left is part of the delta.
So-called "northern fan deposits" are visible behind this cliff in the distance and to the right.

Click to view attachment
Sean
Preliminary shots from 395...

tau
Sol 395 Mastcam-Z looking east. Colors enhanced.
Port Angeles crater with layered outcrops on the inner slope.
The hills in the background are probably heavily eroded remnants of delta sediments.
Curvilinear layers are faintly visible on the slopes. Distance from the rover about 2.4 to 3 km.
The rock on the far left behind the hillside is a small variant of Kodiak hill, distance about 3.3 km.

Click to view attachment

Edit: Corrected the name of the crater
tau
Sol 395 anaglyph Mastcam-Z looking north

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.