Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Io Eclipse
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
JRehling
I normally don't post astrophotography here, but I thought this might be of interest to fans of solar system photography. Here is a video I took in the wee hours of June 16, 2021, of Io vanishing as it moves into Jupiter's shadow. By happenstance, Europa was located almost directly in front of the event, unaffected by the shadow as it was on the near side of Jupiter at the time, while Io, almost 180° away in its orbit, moved into shadow. Seeing this is only possible before opposition because otherwise, the moon being eclipsed would simply move behind Jupiter as/before it reaches the shadow. I've wanted for a long time to capture this event, but the opportunity and my planning hadn't aligned until now. I used a red filter to mitigate the effects of poor seeing, which makes the Great Red Spot subtle at left. The frames are ten seconds apart and were themselves composed from up to 10 frames each, though I edited many poor individual frames out by hand.
Click to view attachment
PDP8E
JRehling,
wow, thanks for sharing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.