Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spacecraft names to avoid
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Rob Pinnegar
I have never had the chance to participate in selecting the name of an upcoming mission. But my guess is that it is probably a long-drawn-out and agonizing process. Mostly because such processes tend to be the most common type.

So it's probably worthwhile to keep a list of names that should NEVER be used handy, just so that they can be shot down quickly and efficiently if the need ever arises.

I more-or-less-humbly submit these four for consideration in said list:

Indignity
Obsolescence
Importunity
Animosity

Can anyone do better? (Or worse, as the case may be?)
HSchirmer
QUOTE (Rob Pinnegar @ May 3 2021, 08:02 PM) *
I have never had the chance to participate in selecting the name of an upcoming mission. But my guess is that it is probably a long-drawn-out and agonizing process. Mostly because such processes tend to be the most common type.
So it's probably worthwhile to keep a list of names that should NEVER be used handy, just so that they can be shot down quickly and efficiently if the need ever arises.
I more-or-less-humbly submit these four for consideration in said list:

Indignity
Obsolescence
Importunity
Animosity

Can anyone do better? (Or worse, as the case may be?)

I might not do better; but I CAN add the apocryphal but brilliant quip attributed to Ben Franklin during the commotion over the naming of the 6th Planet, discovered by the British Royal astronomer, who proposed something that was basically: "Your Highness King George II"

Franklin, and the continental scientists thought they should go classical- and suggested "Your An... eh, Uranus.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.