Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most recent Opportunity pancam image
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
MikeH
Hi -

The most recent (I won't say last!) photo from the Opportunity pancam is this:

https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/1/p/5...CP2682L8M1.HTML

Does anyone on this forum know: was this image cut off partway through transmission? And does the top part of it show the noise from the dust storm?

I would ask NASA, but I couldn't find any email address on the MER page.

If my guess is correct, it makes it fairly poignant, I think.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
fredk
That's the last pic from any camera we got.

It uses the L8 (solar) filter, which is why it's dark and noisy. So the noise is unrelated to the dust storm. And being cut off is unrelated too I'm sure - that happens pretty often.
James Sorenson
That was the last full frame image, though it was incomplete. This is actually the very last image taken and downlinked from Opportunity. Its a low resolution thumbnail of the Sun in the R2 filter which was taken 2 minutes and 34 seconds after that L8 Image. sad.gif
Click to view attachment

Edit: Actually this L7 filter one was taken exactly the same time as that R2 image, so its a tie between the two. So it doesn't seem right to leave that one out.

Click to view attachment
RoverDriver
I can confirm that. Yes, it was cut off at line 768. Paolo
MikeH
Thanks very much for the responses. I got into the habit of checking the raw images page every week or so and it was interesting and thrilling to track the progress, so being stuck on that last one has been frustrating, let's say. Here's hoping the next one is of a fresh-looking sanddune smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.