Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triton's gravitational capture
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
jasedm
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a computer simulation (video) of Triton's theorised gravitational capture into Neptune orbit via one half of a proposed binary KBO (where the other member of the binary pair is ejected)?

I've searched the internet and can only find a couple of Youtube videos which are not particularly detailed.

Any help much appreciated.

Jase
scalbers
Unsure about a video though here is an artists rendition that is based on one of my Triton maps. This was written about by Craig Agnor in Nature.

https://currents.ucsc.edu/05-06/05-15/triton.asp
HSchirmer
QUOTE (jasedm @ Nov 25 2018, 11:46 AM) *
I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a computer simulation (video) of Triton's theorised gravitational capture into Neptune orbit via one half of a proposed binary KBO

IIRC, recent paper and modelling of ice giant moons formation suggests that Triton was a lone KBO.
Triton would have been captured by Nepute based on a statistically average contingent of moons around Neptune.
jasedm
Thank you both for replies, it seems that Triton's capture is not in dispute, but the exact mechanism is
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.