Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Is Victoria's Secret?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
EckJerome
Come on, someone had to do it. rolleyes.gif

I'd say Oppy is about halfway from Endurance to Victoria, but where is she? We can still see the wee-bump of our former target. Granted, there may be an etched-hump of terrain ahead. But still...she's so much bigger! Where are you, Victoria? What secrets are you hiding from us? pancam.gif
djellison
Easy - it's the etched terrain that's essentially blocking the line of sight.

Doug
gregp1962
Actually, we're closer to Victoria than Endurance.
Sunspot
Why are the dunes getting bigger as we move further south? I have the feeling that they might turn out to be too big at some point and we won't make it to Victoria Crater.

You can see them in the high res MOC image of the ethced terrain.
atomoid
Since Mars is smaller than the Earth, things will dissapear below the horizon much sooner.

And how high above the surrounding plains do we expect Victoria to rise?
Im (wild) guessing that Victoria should rise about 5 or 6 meters. Endurance looked to be about 1 or 2.

How close should we be to Victoria to see it become visible?
...much more than 2 km?
djellison
I did the maths and given 5m rim - Victoria should have been visible from as far away as Vostok at the very least - search the forum for it

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.