Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Juno, perijove 14
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Jupiter > Juno
Pages: 1, 2
Gerald
Did anyone happen to observe Jupiter immediately before 2018-07-16T03:47:30 plus light travel time, especially recording a video?
I'm not yet quite sure, But we might have had a small (double?) impact on the night side of Jupiter's north polar region.

Admittedly, it's hard to observe Jupiter's night side from Earth, but maybe there are preceding or follow-up observations, or there has been another presumed event on the dayside at the same time.
Floyd
Exciting way to start perjove 14. Images from your processing pipeline starting to come out tomorrow?
Gerald
I'll start processing as soon as the raws will be posted on the missionjuno website. This requires a full set of SPICE kernel files (which I guess will get available near midnight UTC), and depends also on the pipeline at MSSS and the website operation. But I'm confident, that we'll see first images early tomorrow UTC. Maybe someone can beat me?
mcaplinger
QUOTE (Gerald @ Jul 16 2018, 07:24 AM) *
I'm not yet quite sure, But we might have had a small (double?) impact on the night side of Jupiter's north polar region.

On what basis do you say this?
Gerald
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Bjorn Jonsson
Below are very early, quick and dirty images processed from PJ14_20 ("PJ14 Jet N5"). I'll post improved versions later with better color alignment and slightly higher resolution. First approximately true color/contrast versions:

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

And enhanced versions:

Gustavo B C
QUOTE (Gerald @ Jul 16 2018, 12:24 PM) *
Did anyone happen to observe Jupiter immediately before 2018-07-16T03:47:30 plus light travel time, especially recording a video?

It seems the Hubble was looking around the Jupiter system for Prof. Denis Grodent a bit after that time, maybe it'll have caught something?
xflare
QUOTE (Gerald @ Jul 16 2018, 10:56 PM) *

Can you provide any more information on these images??
Gerald
I'm working on that. But I'm tired after a 27 hours day by now. After posting the set of reprojected images, I'll provide some context, at least.

Most of the RGB images available thus far, approaching from the north:
#06, #08,
#10, #11,
#13, #16
Gerald
#17:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
and #22:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
Now some context of the blips in raw images:
Click to view attachment

I'm going to work on map products, such that it will hopefully be possible to see, whether the blips were at the same position in both images, if projected to Jupiter.
Sean
Thanks for all your efforts Gerald...

Details...

Here is a detail from PJ14_22 made with Matt Brealey's pipeline...

and a preliminary output from Brian Swift's pipeline...

Gerald
Those are funtastic results, Seán!
Here a more complete set of reprojected images.
And drafts without shape model nor trajectory, therefore misaligned for close-up portions.

In the set of drafts, note especially #22, with its distinct transparent bluish atmosphere layer along portions of the left (in the image) limb.
Here a 10-fold enlarged and enhanced crop hinting even towards a haze horizon in the upper atmosphere:
Click to view attachment
Sean
Another processed detail from Matt's output... PJ14_20

Sean
Another processed detail from Matt's output... PJ14_22

mcaplinger
QUOTE (Gerald @ Jul 16 2018, 11:57 PM) *
Now some context of the blips in raw images...

Note that these were lightning search images in two different colors. The most likely explanation IMHO is that they are, in fact, lightning, but the team is working through various alternatives.

The fact that they look like point sources without any charge bleed or smear despite the high level of TDI suggests to me that their duration was no more than a few tens of milliseconds (total exposure time was about 200 milliseconds).
Gerald
Agreed. A virulent thunderstorm with a high lightning frequency could explain how there can be a bright blip minutes apart in #002 and #003. But just to be sure, a network of impact observers is triggered. More context data from Earth are useful no matter whether it's lightning or impact.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (Gerald @ Jul 17 2018, 09:45 AM) *
More context data from Earth are useful no matter whether it's lightning or impact.

I guess, although I think the impact hypothesis is so unlikely as to not be worth any particular action (but perhaps that is excessively conservative of me.) However, not providing location information makes any context search difficult (unless it's very, very obvious.)

The two flashes in pj14-002 were at about 60N 220 and 38N 210 and the flash in pj14-003 was at about 60N 280.
Explorer1
Speaking of collisions:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/ju...rbiting-jupiter

12 new moons to welcome to the club, one in an unstable orbit.... 78 total!

(Mods please move to a more appropriate spot if possible; I can't see any other topics in the Jupiter forum)
Gerald
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jul 17 2018, 08:09 PM) *
The two flashes in pj14-002 were at about 60N 220 and 38N 210 and the flash in pj14-003 was at about 60N 280.

Thanks! I've forwarded your coordinate estimates.
Sean
PJ14_19 portrait from Brian Swift's pipeline

Filled gaps, repaired artifacts & added stars.
Sean
PJ14_20/21/22 reprojected using Matt Brealey's Juno Observer tool [alpha]

Gerald
#23:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
#24, #25:
Gerald
and #26:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
Link to PNG version of part 2, RGB files.
And drafts without SPICE and shape model.
Note the varying opacity of the atmosphere along the limb, especially for #23.
Sean
Thanks Gerald.

Here is a mosaic of 2 composites made with PJ14_20/21/22 using Matt Brealey's Juno Observer tool... including a fair bit of Photoshop to merge, process & repair.

Gerald
Looks like Matt has been able to fix the geometry glitches he's been working on. So we now have a broader basis for good JunoCam image renditions.

QUOTE (xflare @ Jul 17 2018, 09:39 AM) *
Can you provide any more information on these images??

Now finally, yes. I've uploaded cylindrical maps with 30 pixels per degree, just enough to resolve the most distinct blips in #002 and #003. On a global scale they are pretty small. In absolute terms, we are on the scale of a few 100s of km.
And here most maps of PJ14, part 1 for even more context.

Anthony Welsey (Australia) and Clyde Foster (South Africa), at least, have been able to take telescopic images around PJ14. So, we'll get some idea about the larger weather systems nearby.
Sean
There is still some manual placement required but the Juno Observer tool is invaluable for creating new compositions from multiple images, coverage allowing.

Here is a version of PJ14_21 from Gerald warped to a reprojected result from Matt's JO tool...

...and a comp without reprojection from Gerald's output...
Kevin Gill
A good perijove worth of data. Waiting eagerly for more to be posted :-)

Also, having some trouble with ISIS3 and reprojecting the data for the camera perspective view on the close-up angles. My pipeline uses junocam2isis, spiceinit, cam2map, automos, & map2cam to assemble the images. Works well for the approach and departure views, just not for this sort of view. I figured I'm asking a bit much of map2cam (which uses the middle-most exposure for the camera angle), but curious if I'm missing anything.

Sean
A composite of 4 re-projected images [18,19,20&21] to tease out this oval hiding in the margins... [Brealey/Doran]

Bjorn Jonsson
Image PJ14_26 in approximately true color/contrast and then enhanced versions that have been processed with an unsharp mask with several different radius values - basically the radius increases with increasing distance from the horizon.

The spacecraft was only ~3800 km above Jupiter's cloudtops when PJ14_26 was obtained.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (Kevin Gill @ Jul 19 2018, 02:05 PM) *
A good perijove worth of data. Waiting eagerly for more to be posted :-)
... I figured I'm asking a bit much of map2cam

It's taking a long time for the DSN to downlink everything and there are some partial images stuck in the pipeline.

I'm not much of an ISIS3 expert but map2cam shouldn't be able to introduce errors, so I suspect that something is bad in the processing before that. Are you using the most recent beta version from June? I don't think it's visible from the public site but if you're serious about trying it, PM me and I'll send you the instructions.
Kevin Gill
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jul 19 2018, 09:15 PM) *
It's taking a long time for the DSN to downlink everything and there are some partial images stuck in the pipeline.

I'm not much of an ISIS3 expert but map2cam shouldn't be able to introduce errors, so I suspect that something is bad in the processing before that. Are you using the most recent beta version from June? I don't think it's visible from the public site but if you're serious about trying it, PM me and I'll send you the instructions.

I would love to try out any updates to ISIS3. I'm using the current stable release from April.
Bjorn Jonsson
The image from ISIS3 also suggests to me that the problem probably lies earlier in the processing (probably a bad/distorted map for some reason).

However, there was some discussion in a thread here maybe ~2 months ago where ISIS3 was mentioned as part of a discussion concerning optical distortion corrections, the optical axis etc. From the discussion I got the impression that at least until relatively recently ISIS3 probably wasn't handling JunoCam completely correctly - I might be wrong though since I haven't been using ISIS3 to process the JunoCam images (I have been using it mainly for the Cassini images and that's a completely different camera). But in this context it's interesting that I noticed in some of your processed PJ13 images that the images were truncated 'inside' the limb, i.e. a small part of Jupiter very near the limb was missing. At least this was true for images obtained at very close range, I didn't look at other images.
Gerald
PJ14, part 3:

#28, #30:
Gerald
#31, #32:
Gerald
#53, and #58:

Note, that several departure images are intentionally overexposed, in order to improve quality near the terminator, especially the polar region with the circumpolar cyclones.
One of the methane band images is unsharp, obviously due to motion blur, but on the other hand, it doesn't show the stray light issues with TDI enabled for long exposure time.

Here links to according draft versions, to enhanced reprojected PNG versions, and to a first run of map products.
Sean
Thanks Gerald.... here is a detail from your PJ14_30 output.

Sean
PJ14_36 [Swift/Doran]

avisolo
PJ14_39 [Eichstädt/Solomon]
https://i.imgur.com/sbp6mRF.jpg
Sean
PJ14_39 [Swift/Doran]

Bjorn Jonsson
Image PJ14_30 in approximately true color/contrast and enhanced versions. The PJ14 images include beautiful observations of a small red spot near latitude 16.5 degrees south. The spot is slightly more than 5000 km long and its color is similar to the color of the Great Red Spot.

And below is a schematic image showing the resolution in one of the above images (the image that is roughly centered on the spot). The resolution is highest northeast of the red spot.

Click to view attachment

A subset from the image metadata:

IMAGE_TIME = 2018-07-16T05:28:29.317
MISSION_PHASE_NAME = PERIJOVE 14
PRODUCT_ID = JNCE_2018197_14C00030_V01
SPACECRAFT_ALTITUDE = 7960.3 km
SPACECRAFT_NAME = JUNO
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LATITUDE = -13.7571
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LONGITUDE = 79.186
TITLE = PJ14 South Equatorial Belt north
Resolution at nadir: ~5.4 km/pixel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.