Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Juno perijove 9
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Jupiter > Juno
Pages: 1, 2
Gerald
It's time to start a new topic for Juno's Perijove-09.
Due to solar conjunction, data downlink is delayed several days, but things appear to look good thus far.
Data downlink started on October 31, and if everything continues well, it should be a matter of a few days, at most, until the majority of the raw Perijove-09 images will become available. Due to the incremented available storage for JunoCam, we may get a sufficient coverage to render a pole to pole -- well, almost pole to pole -- fly-over reconstruction, despite the difficult communication near solar conjunction. I'll have a try at least, over the next few weeks.
Sean
More power to you Gerald, next week is going to be busy & fun!
mcaplinger
The PJ9 images are on missionjuno (although the front page doesn't say this yet.)
Gerald
PJ-09, quick & dirty version without SPICE nor shape model, therefore close-up portions not yet properly RGB aligned.
The enhanced versions will take another few hours.
Gerald
This is the 10-fold reduced testrun of the version I'm currently rendering:
Click to view attachment
jccwrt
Gerald, thanks for making the quick and dirty versions available so quickly. I have processed image #105, which is a family portrait of Jupiter with Io and Europa.

Perijove 9 Departure - JunoCam

A small amount of unsharp masking was applied to enhance some of the detail, which reveals what look like real albedo features on Io's surface. This image is simply enlarged by 3x:

Ganymede Perijove 9 detail - JunoCam

This is Io's southern hemisphere but I'm not entirely sure which features should be visible. Maybe Tarsus Regio?
Gerald
Great to see you finding out which moons those are, while I've been rendering and uploading the enhanced versions of the close-ups to the missionjuno site. smile.gif

Here the JPG version, going to be distributed over several posts:

Perijove-09, #75, #76, #79, and #79:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

As usual since Juno has been orbiting Jupiter, the close-ups start with images of the north polar region.
Gerald
PJ-09, #80, and #81, with close-ups of the northern "folded filamentary regions" (FFRs), mostly cyclonic turbulent storms known for their increased probability to show lightnings:
Gerald
#82, and #83:
Gerald
#84, and #85:
Gerald
#88, and #89, now we are already above the southern hemisphere:
Gerald
#90, with the white anticyclonic oval A5, if the prognosis has been correct:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
#91, and #92, approaching the south polar region:
Gerald
Approaching the south pole along images #93, #94, #95:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

The transition into the departure sequence with images
#97 and #98, and with some gap the slightly overexposed #105:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Image #105 shows some artifacts near the GRS induced by my patching algorithm for camera artifacts. The algorithm uses nearby colors to fill in invalidated regions, which works pretty well in most cases, but not near the GRS.
Sean
Perijove 09 sequence, based on Gerald's work...

672 Megapixel

168 Megapixel

Sean
Some processed & cropped hilites...

jccwrt
Striving towards an enhanced but still naturalistic processed version. This is my take on #084, which includes a photobomb by Io and Europa.

Southern Hemisphere - JunoCam

A very close look at Io shows a circular reddish spot at about the 9 o'clock position. There are some subtle albedo features around the 2 o'clock position as well. My guess (and this is only a guess), is that they are the Pele plume deposits and the region around Issum Patera, respectively. Here's a 4x enlarged image. (To view the uncompressed image, click through and add '/sizes/o' to the end of the url)

Io - JunoCam
Brian Swift
Some Videos:
PJ09 Approach Movie
JunoCam CCD's view of #91
Sean
New pass on Perijove 09 [G.Eichstadt] Upscaled, processed, patched & reframed...

PJ09_76

PJ09_78

PJ09_79

PJ09_80

PJ09_90

PJ09_91

*update*
PJ09_81
Sean
PJ09_82

PJ09_92

PJ09_89

PJ09_Sequence1

PJ09_Sequence3

Gerald
Perijove-09 inbound RGB images, reprojected, and enhanced. Illumination adjustment is based on PJ-06 TDI-2 images, and may be biased.
I'm elaborating approach and some departure PJ-09 images in more detail, since they are likely to be the only visible light Jupiter images of a major part of its surface available during solar conjunction.

Departure images are more challenging to process due to spacecraft maneuvers, and due to the position of Jupiter approaching the left margin of JunoCam's fov, where geometric calibration is particularly tricky. I'll see over the next few days, how far I can get, hopefully over the first two Jupiter days (i.e. 20 hours) after PJ-09, at least.

I might find time to infer a PJ-09 specific illumination model before PJ-10, but I'm not yet sure.
JRehling
These pictures are convincing me that there will eventually be enormous scientific payoff from the Juno imagery, despite the official disclaimers. The still images alone speak to the dynamics taking place, and in concert with the deep-looking radiometry and lower-resolution images from Earth that provide greater temporal coverage, seemingly must speak volumes to the atmospheric dynamics at large and small scales.

And also: They are stunning! You amateur image wizards are working wonders.
Tom Tamlyn
The Atlantic posted an article today by Marina Karen titled The Photoshoppers Behind Dreamy Jupiter Photos, which quotes members Gerald Eichstädt, Seán Doran, Björn Jónsson, Roman Tkachenko, Emily Lakdawalla, and Jason Major (listed in the order mentioned).

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive...ictures/546146/

The article includes a passage that echoes JRehling's observation about the scientific value of these images:

JunoCam wasn’t designed for scientific purposes—its sole mission is, quite literally, to take pretty pictures—but the Juno team has used the images to better understand the meteorology of gas giants, in our solar system and beyond. “Jupiter can be considered as representing a population of gas giants, likely a widespread population of celestial bodies in the observable universe,” Eichstädt said. “Understanding Jupiter means understanding non-negligible portions of our universe.”
Bjorn Jonsson
Here is a montage of several versions of PJ-9 image 93:

Click to view attachment

A: An approximately true color/contrast image.
B: An approximately true color/contrast image where the effects of global illumination have been removed. This reveals dimly lit features near the terminator.
C: Same as B but in addition, the colors and contrast have been exaggerated and small scale details sharpened to better reveal various features.
D: Same as the previous version with the addition of a latitude/longitude grid. This reveals the location of Jupiter's south pole.

A subset of the metadata:

IMAGE_TIME = 2017-10-24T18:39:10.279
MISSION_PHASE_NAME = PERIJOVE 9
PRODUCT_ID = JNCE_2017297_09C00093_V01
SPACECRAFT_ALTITUDE = 79834.2 km
SPACECRAFT_NAME = JUNO
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LATITUDE = -78.1351
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LONGITUDE = 279.7929
TITLE = Southern timelapse
Resolution at nadir: ~54 km/pixel
Roman Tkachenko
At the edge of the abyss (Jupiter at 4467 km)
Sean
Some PJ09 hilites after Gerald's work...

Kevin Gill
My JunoCam workflow still isn't 100% satisfactory, but was able to work these up over the weekend after realizing I had nothing good from Perijove 9. I'm using a script which simply grabs each strip and stacks them by color band. It doesn't yet do any spice-based alignment or reprojection, but I'm hopeful I can figure that part out. The script also does a histogram equalization and grayscale contrast adjust. I take the output into Photoshop, do some manual alignment, brightness adjustment, and sometimes a HDR toning for contrast and structure. Finally, I make final adjustments for tone, presence, sharpening, & noise in Lightroom.
Kevin Gill
A couple more shots I was able to go back and reprocess. The color isn't quite there and I am focusing on enhanced contrast.
Roman Tkachenko
Io as seen by Juno
Kevin Gill
A couple more from various points in the mission
Gerald
In the meanwhile, John Rogers released two reports about Perijove-09:

Juno at Perijove-9 (Part I): Global maps, and
Juno at Perijove-9 (Part II): What the close-up images show.

Despite the difficult observational conditions, we were able to create a global cylindrical map.
Of particular interest is a newly formed south tropical disturbance near the GRS.

nprev
QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Nov 17 2017, 12:57 PM) *
The Atlantic posted an article today by Marina Karen titled The Photoshoppers Behind Dreamy Jupiter Photos, which quotes members Gerald Eichstädt, Seán Doran, Björn Jónsson, Roman Tkachenko, Emily Lakdawalla, and Jason Major (listed in the order mentioned).

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive...ictures/546146/

A bit belated, but congratulations to you all for this article and recognition! The Atlantic is a widely-distributed US magazine. The article also name-checks our 'no-frills' Forum. smile.gif
Gerald
Well, UMSF has been playing an important, if not essential role in bringing people together. smile.gif

---

Here a link to a Perijove-09 flyby animation.
The link is submitted to missionjuo, too.
I've implemented a "nadir mode" for cylindrical views. This helps to make the movie's horizontal center continuously pointing to Jupiter's center. Vertical displacement is allowed in order to fit with JunoCam's fov. For the youtube version of the movie, I've chosen half second blendings, since the alignment of the scenes isn't quite perfect, and would hence result in doubled features over too long periods of time.

I'll try to upload stills, and mp4 files onto the junocam.pictures webspace later tonight (CET).

Sean
Another excellent effort Gerald! I think this sequence really sells how close Juno gets to Jupiter. I hope the tweening software can handle the closer frames without too much trouble.
avisolo
This is so cool Gerald! Here is my humble attempt at a more poetic rendering of your animation:
https://vimeo.com/244473772
Gerald
Thanks! I like that sound track of Vangelis, Avisolo.

The stills are online since a few hours; the online version is compressed to 1.7 GB of JPG files, I've used 98% quality in order to save upload time and storage volume, and to maintain good quality.
I've rendered two movie versions, one with short blending for Youtube upload, and another one with long blending resulting in an overall more continuous impression, but with considerable feature doubling.
The individual scenes before blending are provided as MP4, as well.
The MP4 scenes have been rendered from BMP files, the same files the JPG stills are derived from. Each of the BMP files has been rendered directly from the respective raw files in one monolithic step using double precision floating point arithmetics.
avisolo
Thanks Gerald!

I've replaced the original video with the files you uploaded, makes for better viewing:
https://vimeo.com/244473772
Gerald
Beautiful! I've recommended it via email to several members of the JunoCam team.
Sean
It appears that these animation renders are reversed/mirrored. Can you confirm this Gerald? At least when compared with the initial processed stills.
Gerald
You are right, the cyclones are winded in the wrong sense. I should have noticed that. I'll try to mirror the movie. The stills will remain as they are.
Sean
It's easy enough to correct, I just wanted to make sure you knew.
Gerald
These things can happen, especially when I'm working around the clock. Thanks for your checking!

The flip-corrected version is on Youtube, now.
The previous version on the missionjuno site hasn't been approved yet. So, I've removed it and added the revised version, instead.
Sean
Here is an early pass on Gerald's video [flipped, rotated, variably retimed & processed] set to 'Orphic Hymn' by Jóhann Jóhannsson

60fps version on Youtube

Sean
Tinkering with re-scaled stills from Gerald's flyby...

*update*

...and another...

( uploaded corrected, flipped version )

Sean
This is a processed, masked blend of projected images [ 90 & 91 ] from Geralds' flyby...

scalbers
Amazing planet and excellent work from Sean and Gerald. I'm gradually getting better at figuring which belts/zones we are seeing when we're at somewhat lower latitudes. Post #31 helps with this.
Sean
Someone on Twitter sent me this...

I think it really ties the room together!

djellison
QUOTE (Sean @ Dec 12 2017, 07:19 AM) *
Someone on Twitter sent me this...

Damn - that's a nice dining room table.

algorithm
Walnut? or birds eye Maple perhaps, nah, too dark, which brings me onto that!!! couch....

The slightly fuzzy, wrapped canvas isn't too bad though. biggrin.gif
Sean
Haha... thanks Doug, I love coffee coming out of my nose!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.