Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mro Atlas V Arrives At Ksc
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
Redstone
From the KSC news webpage "Hot Pics" section:

(04/01/2005) --- KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. – At the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Skid Strip, workers prepare the transporter for the Lockheed Martin Atlas V booster segment for the journey to Atlas Space Operations Center. The Atlas V, designated AV-007, is the launch vehicle for the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO). The MRO is designed for a series of global mapping, regional survey and targeted observations from a near-polar, low-altitude Mars orbit. These observations will be unprecedented in terms of the spatial resolution and coverage achieved by the orbiter’s instruments as they observe the atmosphere and surface of Mars while probing its shallow subsurface as part of a “follow the water” strategy.

The Centaur upper stage has arrived also.

MRO itself should arrive later this month. cool.gif
Redstone
Here is the Lockheed Martin press release.
Redstone
There is a new short video about the Atlas V and Centaur on the MRO website. About halfway through there is an interesting comparison of the sizes of Odyssey, MGS and MRO.
djellison

I'm AMAZED by the Magellan data volume - but to be fair, no interplanetary spacecraft has matched it's data rate ( up to 268.8kbps ) and the first to do so will be MRO ohmy.gif

Doug
Redstone
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 21 2005, 03:51 PM)
I'm AMAZED by the Magellan data volume - but to be fair, no interplanetary spacecraft has matched it's data rate ( up to 268.8kbps ) and the first to do so will be MRO ohmy.gif

Doug

Having a Voyager antenna and the solar power advantages of Venus orbit were big factors in Magellan's performance, I'd guess.

I suspect it also had a bigger slice of DSN time than most missions get these days, in part due to less competition from other missions.
Redstone
Just a short update on the Atlas V. The first stage was moved to the Vertical Integration Facility and lifted to the vertical on the 6th of May. The Centaur upper stage was added yesterday, earlier than NASA press releases had suggested. It looks like preparations are going well so far.
TheChemist
Great news for MRO ! I did not know its superiority on data volume compared to previous crafts was so huge blink.gif

On the side : Gigibits ? What happened to gigabits ? gigi does not mean anything as far as I know tongue.gif
dvandorn
QUOTE (TheChemist @ May 11 2005, 11:01 AM)
On the side : Gigibits ? What happened to gigabits ? gigi does not mean anything as far as I know  tongue.gif

This is a family forum, sir, and any further reference to Gigi's "bits," as you call them, will be most unfavorably viewed...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

-the other Doug
deglr6328
Hey how come they cover all the mars mission's HGA's with insulation? They did it to MGS too. huh.gif Also, I wonder how much data the Telecommunications Orbiter is supposed to send back.
dvandorn
QUOTE (deglr6328 @ May 11 2005, 09:06 PM)
Hey how come they cover all the mars mission's HGA's with insulation? They did it to MGS too. huh.gif

I could be wrong, but it may be because MGS, Odyssey and MRO are all designed to use aerobraking to achieve their final orbital parameters. The concave part of a parabolic antenna makes a really good air brake, something that would probably make the things less controllable during the aerobraking sequences.

-the other Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.