Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawn's last mission extensions at Ceres
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Cometary and Asteroid Missions > Dawn
Pages: 1, 2
Holder of the Two Leashes
This thread will cover all final phases of the Dawn mission, the end of which is not certain at this point.

XMO3 was suppose to be the final orbit, but now plans have changed and it will move into a new higher altitude and higher phase orbit soon. This will be XMO4.

An interesting monthly journal for January details the plan:

Dawn Journal 31 January 2017
TheAnt
Ahuna mons have turned out to be what is called one "ice volcano"
(Used in lack of a better word in american English I guess, my native language got a word for underground water that instantly freeze as it enter the surface in the wínter which would have been very suitable here.)
Now why only a single such feature?
The American Geophysical Union put some thought on that matter and suspect there's other ones that have flattened out and started a search for potential other sites.
ngunn
QUOTE (TheAnt @ Feb 4 2017, 06:09 PM) *

Another possible answer might be that the whole of Ceres is acting like a single pressure vessel with relatively fluid contents. This would require only a single relief valve (at any given time).
Gladstoner
QUOTE (TheAnt @ Feb 4 2017, 12:09 PM) *
The American Geophysical Union put some thought on that matter and suspect there's other ones that have flattened out and started a search for potential other sites.

Perhaps the raised area adjacent to Ahuna is such a feature:

Click to view attachment

The elevation of this area seems to be anomalous compared to the surrounding topography. It does not appear to be associated with any crater/ basin rims or central peaks. Its association with Ahuna seems to imply a relationship of some kind. The surface of this feature is heavily cratered, which means it has been around much longer than Ahuna. Either this feature is an area of general uplift associated with the formation of Ahuna, or it is an older volcanic edifice of the upwelling that produced Ahuna (i.e. 'ancestral Ahuna') that has subsequently suffered subsidence and erosion. Or perhaps both processes were in play. Finally, it is possible it presence there could be purely coincidental.
TheAnt
@Gladstoner: You might indeed have pointed out Ahuna mons predecessor there.
But yes, it cannot be ruled out that it's associated with the current formation. We just have to wait for the verdict by the professionals.
Regardless of which two it turn out to be, I don't think it's coincidental.

What is interesting is the comparatively short timeframe for a feature like this to relax and get near invisible.
If it is lets say 10 MY, that would mean that there's some ongoing activity inside Ceres to create a feature like Ahuna mons.
The big question then will be if it's continuous or periodical.

Well this higher altitude orbit might perhaps get us a chance to catch an image of the possible fog over Occator. Backlit by the Sun would be the best way to catch it just as on Enceladus.
Gladstoner
QUOTE (TheAnt @ Feb 5 2017, 06:39 PM) *
What is interesting is the comparatively short timeframe for a feature like this to relax and get near invisible.
If it is lets say 10 MY, that would mean that there's some ongoing activity inside Ceres to create a feature like Ahuna mons.
The big question then will be if it's continuous or periodical.

Based on the features' appearances and on the (apparent) lack of extensive activity on Ceres, I'd think any volcanic processes would be episodic.
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
" Asteroid Dust Cloaks True Composition Of Dwarf Planet Ceres "

" Observations of Ceres indicate that asteroids might be camouflaged "
http://www.seti.org/seti-institute/press-r...-be-camouflaged

" Dwarf planet Ceres camouflage by asteroid dust ":
http://www.space.com/35451-dwarf-planet-ce...eroid-dust.html
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
?
Is expected to map temperatures of Ceres? I expected Already for long time :-/
Paolo
on today's Science (and behind the paywall... mad.gif )

Localized aliphatic organic material on the surface of Ceres

Organic compounds occur in some chondritic meteorites, and their signatures on solar system bodies have been sought for decades. Spectral signatures of organics have not been unambiguously identified on the surfaces of asteroids, whereas they have been detected on cometary nuclei. Data returned by the Visible and InfraRed Mapping Spectrometer on board the Dawn spacecraft show a clear detection of an organic absorption feature at 3.4 micrometers on dwarf planet Ceres. This signature is characteristic of aliphatic organic matter and is mainly localized on a broad region of ~1000 square kilometers close to the ~50-kilometer Ernutet crater. The combined presence on Ceres of ammonia-bearing hydrated minerals, water ice, carbonates, salts, and organic material indicates a very complex chemical environment, suggesting favorable environments to prebiotic chemistry.

see also the Science perspective article: Dwarf planet Ceres and the ingredients of life
and the JPL press release: Dawn Discovers Evidence for Organic Material on Ceres
TheAnt
This is the kind of news that could have me literally jumping up and down.
Water, ammonia, salts, cabonates and now this!
It might be quite premature to speculate if any space agency will jump at this opportunity.
But it's a fact that Ceres would provide an easy target for a lander mission.
With the very low gravity it would even be possible to have a 'jumping' lander visiting several sites for sampling.
Even the idea of returning samples might be considered.
Aliphatic organic matter - it's not any of the lighter ones, they would be long gone, from a single spectral line it's hard to say how complex those molecules are.
But I'd give an arm and a leg to have closer look at a sample here on Earth.

Explorer1
There's probably already samples of Ceres on Earth, just not yet identified as such. All those craters must have made sprayed ejecta everywhere and some meteorites must be here now, just by probability.
Otherwise a sample return mission might in fact be easier than Mars; lack of atmosphere and low gravity making up for the greater difference in orbits...
fredk
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Feb 19 2017, 06:30 AM) *
lack of atmosphere

Doesn't atmosphere help you at Mars? You'd need a heck of a lot of fuel to brake from orbit and land without atmospheric drag. The drag would affect a launch from the surface, but with low launch speeds and thin atmosphere I'm guessing that's not a big effect.

Of course lower gravity at Ceres means lack of atmosphere won't be as important as it would've been at Mars.
Explorer1
Yes, I was talking about launching from the surface. I vaguely recall reading an article a few years ago about someone working on an engine for an ascent stage to get straight to Earth, no need for rendezvous; can't find it now. Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread, another time.
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
QUOTE (Daniele_bianchino_Italy @ Feb 8 2017, 09:53 AM) *
?

Repropose my UP question... ?

I know that Ceres has no seasons like earth. However, we can say that it is entering its warm period. Dawn was arrived to Ceres in the beginning of the cold season. Too bad the mission will end before the maximun warm season of Ceres.

PhilipTerryGraham
They're starting to publish XMO3 images on the NASA Photojournal! The first is this interesting context view of Ahuna Mons and Occator crater, taken on 11 February.

EDIT: Here's a version I uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, with annotations labelling all the discernible features in the image, per the official nomenclature by the IAU.
Habukaz
QUOTE (Daniele_bianchino_Italy @ Feb 8 2017, 10:53 AM) *
?

Some pictures showing temperature have been generated. Here's a few that I am not sure if have been posted to the Photojournal, where you can find the others. Don't know about global or other larger maps, or time series of temperature.
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
QUOTE (Habukaz @ Feb 26 2017, 01:25 PM) *
Some pictures showing temperature have been generated. Here's a few that I am not sure if have been posted to the Photojournal, where you can find the others. Don't know about global or other larger maps, or time series of temperature.

Thanks!
235 K -38°C
196 K -76°C
However, the VIR images are of the last year.
Ceres from this year begins to warm. The mission will not arrive to the maximum hot season of Ceres, but it could show more high temperatures in the next months....
nprev
ADMIN MODE: Moved four recent posts to the former "Water Vapor on Ceres" thread, which has been retitled "Ceres Geology". I think that discussion will continue long after the Dawn mission is completed. Thanks! smile.gif
Gladstoner
Long-range image taken on March 28:

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA21401

Click to view attachment

The brightness of the Occator faculae is pretty subdued at this lighting and viewing angle.
Dawn has lost another (third) reaction wheel. But it looks like the opposition studies scheduled for Saturday the 29th will not be affected.

Dawn Status Report
Explorer1
Opposition observation data received! https://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html
hendric
Man, if I ever win the lottery I'm going to work on making longer-lasting reaction wheels for space missions. sad.gif
djellison
There are many old spacecraft with great reaction wheels still working fine. But there must have been some batch - some particular hardware version rev that has hit Kepler and Dawn.
Explorer1
Movie from opposition observations released: https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6845
New journal soon, presumably.
Dawn's fate to be decided soon. Sending it off to a new asteroid is one option back on the table.

SpaceFlight Now article
hendric
QUOTE (djellison @ May 3 2017, 10:37 PM) *
There are many old spacecraft with great reaction wheels still working fine. But there must have been some batch - some particular hardware version rev that has hit Kepler and Dawn.

Yep, here's a comment from this article ( https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/06/17/dawn-...ecrafts-future/ )

Benjamin Hunt
Mass and size are always an issue on spacecraft, especially deep space probes. Remember, however, that Dawn is an exception in terms of reliability...while reaction wheels have failed on other missions, they all (I believe) failed *after* completing their primary missions, and usually their extended missions.

That said, the reaction wheels that have failed on Dawn and several other spacecraft that have made the news have been noted as coming from a bad batch made by Ithaco Space Systems. The decreased lifespans weren't understood until it was far too late to do anything about it, except for the Kepler mission; those wheels were sent back to Ithaco for preventative maintenance shortly before launch, but even that didn't fix the problem. Still, Kepler made it 4 years before failure compared to its planned 3.5 year mission, and it is still returning very useful science, even if at a reduced capacity.
jasedm
It would be fantastic news if the budget allowed for another asteroid flyby - I'd be pretty surprised though if the idea was approved.

Just a fun thought, would it be possible for Dawn to make it back to Earth? The idea of it matching orbits with the ISS and being examined up close after ten years of spaceflight is strangely thrilling (well to me at least smile.gif )
nprev
It'd be possible to make it back to the Earth's vicinity, but probably only as a flyby. I don't see any practical way to get it into near-Earth orbit, even if the attitude control suite was fully operational.

No value added there. An asteroid flyby would be a much, much better option.
algorimancer
What about a Europa flyby, with some asteroid flybys en-route? Not sure about the gravity gradient, but it might be more efficient to head inward and get an orbital assist from Mars, or it might not. Given the current state of knowledge about Europa, we could probably learn a lot from a targeted flyby -- and probably 10 or more years before we have an orbiter in place.
djellison
Europa? No way it'll survive that far from the Sun and that sort of radiation dose. It really is Adiona, or Ceres. That's honestly all the options.
tedstryk
Another asteroid flyby would be cool, but I'd like to stay at Ceres to monitor it though perihelion to see if any changes/outgassing can be detected.
nprev
Perihelion is next April, and it does seem as if most water vapor detections by remote sensors have happened around then.

I concur with Ted.
hendric
I agree, stay at Ceres, but in a long term parking orbit that would allow for long term observations, with possible dips to a close orbit for flybys of anything interesting. I doubt we'll see significant changes, but maybe we'll get lucky. Occator crater is such an enigma, with the youth of the central mound. It is fascinating that two icy bodies (Ceres and Enceladus) that span an order of magnitude of sizes have localized activity.

algorimancer
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 20 2017, 12:45 PM) *
Europa? No way it'll survive that far from the Sun and that sort of radiation dose...

True, only 28% as much solar energy at Jupiter (if I did the math right). Not sure if this is more a problem for propulsion or simply keeping the electronics running. And I have no expertise in judging the radiation problem, though (having been a software developer once upon a time), I do wonder whether radiation tolerant software could be developed -- perhaps using the RAM in a multiply redundant fashion -- but that's a broader problem.

Anyway, my vote would be to go elsewhere if possible, with the argument being that flyby observations of another -- never explored -- asteroid would be more valuable than spending a bit more time at Ceres.
bobik
QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 21 2017, 04:22 AM) *
Perihelion is next April, and it does seem as if most water vapor detections by remote sensors have happened around then.

"Ceres' Temporary Atmosphere Linked to Solar Activity ... Villarreal and colleagues showed that past detections of the transient atmosphere coincided with higher concentrations of energetic protons from the sun. Non-detections coincided with lower concentrations of these particles. What's more, the best detections of Ceres' atmosphere did not occur at its closest approach to the sun. This suggests that solar activity, rather than Ceres' proximity to the sun, is a more important factor in generating an exosphere."
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
I would like to stay up Ceres to the perihelion. However, it depends on which asteroid destination Dawn team proposing.

It is confirmed that Dawn will stay at Ceres. From now until the end of mission they will try to get into a closer orbit than ever before (at periapsis in a highly elliptical orbit), photograph the southern hemisphere with favorable lighting and observe Ceres at it closest point to the sun. The last part is in April with the greater possibility of Ceres outgassing an atmosphere.

October 19 Press Release

October 31st Dawn Journal
Explorer1
Many details in the latest Dawn Journal: https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/blog/2017/12/dear-...awnce-travelers

Descent to lower orbit should start in April, though targeting of specific areas for higher resolution imagery is not guaranteed.
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
Where is Dawn? Notices on extended mission? unsure.gif
Explorer1
I'm assuming no news is good news, they are still spiraling down to the final orbit. Should be in an intermediate orbit May 14th, according to the last journal, and then May 31st to finish off.

Journal update: http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs...elliptical.html
Ceres reached perihelion, all is well with Dawn....
Therion
Sharpened and enlarged views of Occator crater's eastern rim, boulders and landslides from altitude 44-48 km:

Click to view attachment
from PIA22524

Click to view attachment
from PIA22525

Click to view attachment
from PIA22526
Explorer1
Really neat limb view here: https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA22522
New journal entry posted; looks like EOM is estimated for September, October at the latest:
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest-blogs...lling-down.html
Running out of hydrazine for manouevres is not exactly a dramatic end, but what a journey it will have been!
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
QUOTE (Therion @ Jun 15 2018, 07:36 AM) *
Sharpened and enlarged views of Occator crater's eastern rim, boulders and landslides from altitude 44-48 km:

Click to view attachment
from PIA22524

Click to view attachment
from PIA22525

Click to view attachment
from PIA22526

do you think of new, close-up images of Mount Ahuna??
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
QUOTE (Therion @ Jun 15 2018, 07:36 AM) *

Click to view attachment
from PIA22524

Click to view attachment
from PIA22525

Click to view attachment
from PIA22526

This is new images of Ceres?I do not find them update dawn nasa, or in another webasite, why?
charborob
You can find those images here.
mcmcmc
QUOTE (Daniele_bianchino_Italy @ Jun 18 2018, 08:47 AM) *
This is new images of Ceres?I do not find them update dawn nasa, or in another webasite, why?

For unkown reasons they do not update twitter feed anymore since Dawn started descent to XAMO7 orbit on may 31th.
Daniele_bianchino_Italy
QUOTE (charborob @ Jun 18 2018, 10:58 AM) *
You can find those images here.

QUOTE (mcmcmc @ Jun 19 2018, 12:02 PM) *
For unkown reasons they do not update twitter feed anymore since Dawn started descent to XAMO7 orbit on may 31th.

I wanted to show My model of Ahuna Mons, with my hands (12x17 cm - 1cm about 1260 km) NO 3Dprinter (in the link there is also my occator crater):

I do not know if I can to insert here or remove moderator

http://antidotumtarantulae.altervista.org/...ula_planet.html
Gladstoner
Cerealia Facula in Occator Crater:

Click to view attachment

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA22477

I dare not speculate.
Gladstoner
Vinalia Faculae, also in Occator:

Click to view attachment

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA22478
Gladstoner
Occator floor fractures:

Click to view attachment

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA22551
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.