Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pathfinder Route Map
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future
Buck Galaxy
Anyone have a Pathfinder route map like we have for Spirit and Oppy?
djellison

taa daa

Go to the PDS and there's probably a bigger version

Doug
MizarKey
Compared to the MERs, Pathfinder was 'baby steps'...I hope MSL makes MER look like baby steps.
djellison
Baby steps maybe - but it was more than 100m in total - which was quite an achievment.

If you scale up from that to Spirit, at say 4km - then you've have to ask MSL to do 160km for a similar scale up smile.gif

Doug
Gsnorgathon
160km would be OK with me... :@P
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
John M. Dollan
QUOTE (MizarKey @ Apr 3 2005, 02:22 AM)
Compared to the MERs, Pathfinder was 'baby steps'...I hope MSL makes MER look like baby steps.

Heh, I could live with that!

...John...
tedstryk
Has anyone tried to place the route map on this image? It might give us an appreciation for the locations sojourner explored.
tedstryk
Well, I have done it myself....Here is Pathfinder's route on that image (greatly enlarged so it can be seen). This really does show you how far we have come. Also, despite going 160 meters, it just meandered around the lander. Is kind of a shame. There are quite a few interesting little bumps and possible small craters around, but with Spirit and Oppy, we have seen how hard it is to tell you what is right in front of you. And they were depending on some pathetic old kilometer-scale Viking images for navigation - that is one problem we shouldn't have with a Mars rover again. The dune field that Sojourner spotted just beyond the "rock garden" right before Pathfinder failed reminds us of how many things can go largely unnoticed when you can't move.

paxdan
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Apr 12 2005, 05:10 AM)
Well, I have done it myself....Here is Pathfinder's route on that image (greatly enlarged so it can be seen).  This really does show you how far we have come.  Also, despite going 160 meters, it just meandered around the lander.  Is kind of a shame.  There are quite a few interesting little bumps and possible small craters around, but with Spirit and Oppy, we have seen how hard it is to tell you what is right in front of you.  And they were depending on some pathetic old kilometer-scale Viking images for navigation - that is one problem we shouldn't have with a Mars rover again.  The dune field that Sojourner spotted just beyond the "rock garden" right before Pathfinder failed reminds us of how many things can go largely unnoticed when you can't move.

Photo of said dune field shot on sol 76.

sojourner in action
tedstryk
Here is an image taken on Sol 74 (with color data from surrounding Sols when the rearcam was faced that way). You can see the little rise it was facing with the rock on top. It gives you a hint of the little depression to the left of pathfinder on my map that the lander couldn't see well over the rocks.

paxdan
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Apr 13 2005, 04:49 AM)
Here is an image taken on Sol 74 (with color data from surrounding Sols when the rearcam was faced that way).  You can see the little rise it was facing with the rock on top.  It gives you a hint of the little depression to the left of pathfinder on my map that the lander couldn't see well over the rocks.

Nice image, i dont remember seeing many colorized rover images certainly not one as nice as that. It reminds me of the insurance pan view taken by the IMP before the mast deployed. It's strange to see the rock garden breaking the horizon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.