Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 223
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
charborob
Images from the Oct. 14 Enceladus flyby are coming in:
images

Some spectacular scenery of highly fractured terrain:
Click to view attachment
jasedm
Wow! Fantastic scenery.....
alan
This one is driving my eyes crazy
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=342265
Explorer1
Flip it 180 degrees; slightly more comprehensible, but still bizarre!
jccwrt
A couple of Enceladus mosaics. Looks like most of the terrain imaged in high-res yesterday was near the equator, which made a nice mosaic.

Enceladus - Rev 223 Flyby by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

I'm estimating the resolution of the mosaic on the left to be somewhere between 70-100 m/px, while the image of Dunyazad and Shahrazad is somewhere around 60 m/px. I lined up the images with the global map of Enceladus at bottom right, you should be able to see the image footprints in the full-resolution version.

Cassini also got a nice mosaic of Enceladus lit up with Saturnshine on the way out:

Enceladus - Rev 223 Departure by Justin Cowart, on Flickr
alk3997
The wide angle camera lens is sure getting dirty after all these years in flight.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...1/W00094840.jpg

Enceladus is in the middle of the image.

Andy
eliBonora
My last Enceladus!

Bjorn Jonsson
This is an experimental anaglyph of Enceladus' snowman craters. They were imaged by Cassini on October 14, 2015.

Click to view attachment

The elevation information (DEM) was generated using shape from shading (SFS) and isn't very accurate but this looks rather realistic anyway. The DEM could be made much more accurate if SFS could be combined with stereo but as far as I know no good stereo pairs of these craters exist.
elakdawalla
I spent a while trying to make a stereo pair from the images that Cassini returned last week and am rather glad to hear that you couldn't get any useable stereo information out of them either smile.gif
Ian R
Dione from last week:

Click to view attachment

I co-registered the CLR, IR, GRN and UV frames semi-automatically, using ImageJ's handy 'StackReg' plugin.
jasedm
Very nice work Ian.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.