Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mer Driving Software Game
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Buck Galaxy
I'm thinking it would be extremely cool to have a PC or online game that was an exact replica of MER control software. There would be a 3D Meridiani and Gusev environment to drive around in and use all the science equipment. It would simulate exactly the conditions and experiences the real MER operators have. Not only would it be fun, it would potentially train real future operators for the hundreds of MERs that will someday be on Mars. (Hey I can dream can't I?) ;-)
dot.dk
It's your lucky day biggrin.gif

http://mars.telascience.org/
mike
Yeah, I've always enjoyed the exploration aspect of games the most myself.. I think that realistically to make a truly successful 'game' you would need to throw in alien artifacts, some sort of life, or the like.. Using only actual data would be good for educational purposes, of course. smile.gif

It is a good idea.
Baltic
QUOTE (mike @ Mar 27 2005, 09:46 AM)
Yeah, I've always enjoyed the exploration aspect of games the most myself..  I think that realistically to make a truly successful 'game' you would need to throw in alien artifacts, some sort of life, or the like..  Using only actual data would be good for educational purposes, of course.  smile.gif

I would like to pick the landing site myself. You know ... climb Olympus Mons, stare into Valles Marineris, pay Sojourner a visit, look for Beagle Crater ... tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Happy Easter folks!

Tom
centsworth_II
"...climb Olympus Mons..."

Wouldn't it be better to land in Olympus Mons' cauldon. Do a thorough investigation of the volcanic crater, then it would be a relativley short climb to a spectacular view and then an easier climb down the slope of the volcano (rather than up).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.