Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 214
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
jasedm
Details of imaging plans for this revolution have been available here for a day or two.
Some nice icy-moon mutual event images are planned, plus mid-range mosaics of Tethys and Dione, and additional images of Iapetus from similar distances and orientations to those just received from the spacecraft.

Happy days!

Phil Stooke
Nice to see Iapetus again.

Phil

Click to view attachment
stevesliva
Holey moly. That's a proportionally huge basin. Starts to make you think that proportionally enormous impacts might have something to do with the equatorial ridge.
Michael Capobianco
And there's our friend the Snowman rotating into view in this image from the latest set of uploads. Iapetus is fascinating, as always. The dark triangle just above the Snowman is very noticeable, more so than in any other images I remember. It barely shows up in the global maps, not nearly this prominent. A lighting effect?
Click to view attachment
tedstryk
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 30 2015, 08:51 PM) *
Nice to see Iapetus again. Phil

When this one hits the PDS, I shall have fun with it.
elakdawalla
Why wait? biggrin.gif
Ian R
Bravo, Emily! I wonder if animating your frames in a 'bouncy' video might highlight some of the topography near the pole/limb?
elakdawalla
It does, and I'll post something like that...but dangit, Cassini just downlinked more images from this sequence, so I have to go back to downloading and processing first.

(Nice problem to have!)
Explorer1
Considering this is the last reasonably good look at Iapetus for the rest of the mission, that is indeed a good problem...
Val Klavans
The images of Iapetus are so cool! I love what you put together, Emily. smile.gif

I just made a quick animation of Cassini's encounter with Iapetus: https://flic.kr/p/qYgEbW

Click to view attachment
Ian R
Here's a 'bouncy' animation of all 316 raw frames:

Iapteus — As seen from Cassini, March 2015

Click to view attachment
Ian R
Modified my previous post with a color composite (UV-GRN-IR), and a link to the 'bouncy' animation of the raw frame dataset. A color version is possible, and something I will consider working on when (or if) time allows.

smile.gif
charborob
Mutual event with Dione and Tethys (image cropped and enlarged 2x):
Click to view attachment
Original image here.
Val Klavans
Here's a quick animation I made of the Dione and Tethys mutual event:

Click to view attachment
eliBonora
Here's a gifmovie of the "moons dancing"
(with equalizer much work to avoid flashing due to alternating exposures)

https://flic.kr/p/rNMRfB

By aligning the color frames, can be seen quite well also the star at the top, near the top edge of the image (which should be HIP 39625) and by the animation, another should precede Tethys (perhaps HIP 39641).

There is also very few color in the color filters, so this is all I are able to obtain.

Astro0
Dione

Click to view attachment

Astro0
Sweet smile.gif

1024x1024 version

Ian R
Melanthius (I think!) on the terminator of Tethys:

Click to view attachment
Ian R
All the 512 x 512 frames of Dione, through the IR, GRN, and UV filters — aligned and upsized to 1,024 x 1,024.

http://postimg.org/gallery/18w7mzdke/926f9281/
Ian R
Mosaic of Dione:

Click to view attachment
Ian R
Tethys in IR-GRN-BLUE:

Click to view attachment
jasedm
Fantastic work guys! the Dione mosaic in colour is awesome.

There are two sub-1000km flybys of Dione this year (June and August) to look forward to, perhaps some concrete evidence of outgassing may be revealed.

I'm loving Cassini being back in the ring-plane. Some distant shots of Polydeuces to come on the next revolution..
Val Klavans
I recently put together this view of Saturn and Titan (from April 18):

Click to view attachment

More details here.
eliBonora
Some of the latest icy moons

Dione (irgrn uv):

Tethys
(cl1cl2)

(ir grn uv) .... I would have rotate it, but I forgot! smile.gif
wildespace
What's the UMSFers take on the mysterious red streaks seen on Tethys in images from April 11th? http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/cassini/unusual-re...icy-saturn-moon

Like graffiti sprayed by an unknown artist, unexplained arc-shaped, reddish streaks are visible on the surface of Saturn's icy moon Tethys in new, enhanced-color images from NASA's Cassini spacecraft.

The red arcs are narrow, curved lines on the moon's surface, and are among the most unusual color features on Saturn's moons to be revealed by Cassini's cameras.

Images taken using clear, green, infrared and ultraviolet spectral filters were combined to create the enhanced-color views, which highlight subtle color differences across the icy moon's surface at wavelengths not visible to human eyes.

Could be some kind of exposed material, but I think they might be the result of a glancing impact?
Explorer1
Hard to believe; they curve around the surface for hundreds of km. Plus they're all parallel, so they can't be from a single impact.
Gsnorgathon
My take is "????!!!" First question for me is: endogenous or exogenous? I'd guess exo-, but how much is my guess worth?
Paolo
a dense clump of outer ring material tidally disrupted and sprayed over the surface?
alan
Ignoring the exaggerated color, they remind me of the bright fractures on Dione.
DrShank
sorry the media release was so cryptic. those things tend to be short. this is rather large story and we are looking at stresses that might cause it but haven't found a clear-cut answer yet. hope to have one in a month or two. I will also blog on it when i get a chance, so to share more of the odd details . . .
p
alk3997
A very slow impact that allow Tethys to rotate under the material as it was slowly falling. Obviously, with that scenario, an exogenous source.

As for the color, right now I've got nothing better than sharpie...

Andy
dvandorn
Looks like tectonic cracking of the surface, which is somehow exposing material of different composition than the surficial layer. Maybe there was an ancient impact basin here and the underlying crust still "remembers" the cracking, which serves as a conduit for material slowly being moved to the surface?

-the other Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.