Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Latest Test of new NASA Parachute Designs
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
gndonald
Here is a 'video clip' style presentation of last Novembers Mars Parachte test. While the chute does rip, it seems to come down safely (Although that could be due to slowed film.) But most importantly, this was not the big expensive test.

Rocket Sled Parachute Design Verification
algorithm
Now that was one mad video.
The rocket cam and para cam were great views.
The canopy seemed to stay intact, it appeared that the ropes broke?

Was that really the original sound track cos it was very fitting.
gndonald
The canopy ripped before the intended pressure was reached.

For comparison here is the 1968 test of the parachute design that put Curiosity on Mars...

Performance of a 19.7 Meter Diameter Disk-Gap-Band Parachute in a Simulated Martian Environment
djellison
A test program analogous to the Viking 'chute test program will be taking place later this year as part of the LDSD project. Inflatable heatshield extension, larger parachutes, and lots and lots of photo-documentation.
gndonald
And I for one am looking forward to it, the 1960's Voyager parachute test program (which provided the baseline information for the Viking test series) generated some spectacular (& in the case of the failed ballute test, terrifying) images.

I just hope they've managed to solve the debris problem they had back then.
Airbag
This failed ballute test video, presumably?

Airbag
djellison
Probably referencing moments in the Viking 'chute test vids where hardware related to the test itself falls back into the 'chute puncturing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zMeQG8L-E#t=118

gndonald
QUOTE (Airbag @ Feb 5 2014, 10:56 AM) *

I've found the report for that one on the NTRS, surprised at the time that they didn't try again, as they did with the '+' shaped parachutes.

Flight-Test Results From Supersonic Deployment Of An 18-Foot-Diameter (5.49-Meter) Towed Ballute Decelerator
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.