Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem With Mini-tes?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Redstone
I wish I had something more cheerful for my first post...

JPL News Release

"On March 3 and 4, Opportunity transmitted data sets for 17 successful readings by its miniature thermal emission spectrometer but also reported that eight other attempted readings yielded incomplete data sets. "

"Researchers are considering several possible root causes for the spectrometer-data problem. One possibility is malfunctioning of an optical switch that tells a mirror in the instrument when to begin moving. Another is that the mirror is not properly moving at a constant velocity. "If it is the optical switch, we could use a redundant one built into the instrument," said Dr. Phil Christensen of Arizona State University, Tempe, lead scientist for the miniature thermal emission spectrometers on both rovers. He added that, if the root cause cannot be remedied, scientists could still get useful data from the instrument in its currently impaired condition."

Doesn't sound like a major failure yet. I hope they can find a fix. If not, we'll have to rely on the great redundancy the designers built into these rovers.
dot.dk
I have seen an animation of the MiniTES and it has a mirror like thing at the back of the Pancam Mast top bar. Is it this mirror they are unable to move and thus still can get data, but not point it up or down?
djellison
No - I think it's something actually inside the mini-tes hardware in the WEB

Doug
dot.dk
But how could they still get useful data from the instrument in its currently impaired condition then? huh.gif
djellison
You've never had a button on a calculator you had to press just right to get it to work only for it to be fine for a week smile.gif Or a strange banging in the plumbing that starts for no reason then vanishes for no reason smile.gif

It might well be something sticking in there. It's not just died, it's just working from time to time.

Doug
TheChemist
Be patient... The crew is on the other side of the planet at the moment, having just finished cleaning up Spirit's solar panels. tongue.gif
It will take them a while, but they'll get back at Meridiani soon. biggrin.gif
dot.dk
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Mar 16 2005, 10:56 PM)
Be patient... The crew is on the other side of the planet at the moment, having just finished cleaning up Spirit's solar panels. tongue.gif
It will take them a while, but they'll get back at Meridiani soon. biggrin.gif

Jeez, I thought they had more than one martian service station rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
TheChemist
With two MSLs in 2011, a network of service stations on Mars would be a good bussiness opportunity biggrin.gif (pun intended)
centsworth_II
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Mar 16 2005, 06:04 PM)
biggrin.gif (pun intended)

That's the SPIRIT!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.