Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev200: Dec 17 '13 — Jan 19 '14
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
Ian R
An inbound, two-footprint mosaic of Titan's northern wetlands, taken on New Year's Eve from a distance of 449,858 miles:

Click to view attachment
Val Klavans
Awesome mosaic, Ian! cool.gif

Here is one of the raws (W00085699) I edited showing Titan's northern wetlands:
Click to view attachment

And here is an RGB composite of Titan's crescent. Now about only half of the south polar vortex can be seen by ISS:
Click to view attachment

I've just updated my Titan flyby blog with composites from T97: Cassini's First Flyby of 2014! (I've also included a labelled version of the lakes and seas image above.) If you'd like to give it a look and some feedback, I'd really appreciate it! smile.gif
Ian R
Very nice, Val biggrin.gif The haze layers stand out really prominently in that composite, I must say.
titanicrivers
QUOTE (Val Klavans @ Jan 4 2014, 10:29 PM) *
Here is one of the raws (W00085699) I edited showing Titan's northern wetlands:
I've just updated my Titan flyby blog with composites from T97 ...

Your processing of W00085699 is superb Val. I wonder if you might elaborate here or in the images sub-forum on how you did this. I worked a bit on the same image and sad to say am too embarrassed to show it now!
Your Titan blog web page was great as well !
Val Klavans
QUOTE (titanicrivers @ Jan 6 2014, 01:30 PM) *
Your processing of W00085699 is superb Val. I wonder if you might elaborate here or in the images sub-forum on how you did this. I worked a bit on the same image and sad to say am too embarrassed to show it now!
Your Titan blog web page was great as well !

Thanks so much!! biggrin.gif

So here are the steps I took:

1) Initially I just used the high pass filter on the CB3 frame (W00085699), then adjusted the brightness/contrast, and added a little bit of noise. The result didn't look too different from the original raw image, but the lakes and seas were a tad darker.

2) I came back to it later realizing I could use the RED frame (W00085696) to subtract the brightness changes across the CB3 frame. I stacked two of the RED frames on the CB3 frame, making two identical layers -- let's call them [a] and [b]. (So now there are three layers total: the background, CB3 and the other two RED layers.)

3) I adjusted the Gamma on each layer so that [a]'s was set to 1.4 and [b]'s to 0.6. Then I inverted both layers. After that, I set the blend mode of [a] to Linear Burn and changed the opacity to about 50% -- so the lakes and seas could be seen and it wasn't too bright or too dark. Then I set the blend mode of [b] to overlay and didn't alter the opacity.

4) I finally merged all the layers together, used the high pass filter, and adjusted the brightness/contrast.

I hope that helps! smile.gif
Ian R
This video is an attempt to 'animate' the frames taken by ISS during this flyby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQyv_DRrqT4

And at the end, I've included some processed highlights from T-97.
Astro0
Love it! The highlights reel was especially good. smile.gif
Juramike
That...was...awesome!!!
Ian R
Thanks guys! cool.gif
Vultur
Awesome to see wetlands/lakes/etc. on another world...

Also, Rev 200 - wow!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.