Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proba-V
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Earth & Moon > Earth Observations
Vultur
I didn't see a previous thread about this spacecraft...

According to Spaceflight Now's Launch Schedule, ESA's Proba-V Earth-observation vegetation-observing satellite is currently scheduled to launch on a Vega booster late Friday (May 3rd) or early Saturday (May 4rd) depending on your time zone - about 2 AM GMT.

ESA Website about Proba-V

ESA info about the vegetation instrument: here, here, and here

It will also carry guest payloads: two radiation-detecting instruments, a fiber optics experiment, aircraft tracking and a gallium nitride semiconductor in its communication system.
Vultur
Launched at 2AM GMT.

spaceflightnow.com/vega/vv02/130507launch/
eoincampbell
Great! Thanks for posting those...
vjkane
I hadn't heard about this mission before. It will make a nice extension of wide area monitoring of landcover. The TERRA and AQUA satellite MODIS instrument does the same, although with a wider range of bands. Still there's a lot that can be done with this instrument. The website doesn't mention whether or not ESA will be producing standard datasets like the normalized differential vegetation index (rough translation, how much stuff with chlorophyll) that is done with the MODIS instrument.

I went to a conference last fall and was impressed with what is being done with MODIS for global monitoring. It was US conference, so I expect similar things will be done with this mission and its SPOT counterpart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.