Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planck results
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Beyond.... > Telescopic Observations
Paolo
preprints of the papers based on the first 15.5 months of ops are now available
http://www.sciops.esa.int/index.php?projec...ublished_Papers
dilo
Thanks Paolo...
I was pretty sure about today's news from Paris: further confirms of lambda-CDM model fit joined to precise cosmological parameters refinement!... instead, big surprise! ohmy.gif
These news are de-stabilizing but, after initial shock, I am happy to know we still have so many thinks to understand and re-think about our incredible universe!
Anyway, comparison with WMAP is impressive both in terms of confirmed features both for improved resolution.
fredk
It's been an absolutely mad dash getting the Planck data and papers ready for this release, and I'm extremely pleased with our results. I've only worked on Planck a couple of years, but for many it's the culmination of 15 or more years of work!

Some of my personal favourite results:

No evidence for extensions to the standard 6-parameter model of cosmology.

No sign of non-Gaussianity, which means we can rule out huge classes of models of inflation (a very early stage of the Universe).

New ways of probing structure in the distant Universe (so-called ISW and lensing effects).

No sign of the so-called "dark flow" and extremely tight constraints on inhomogeneous cosmologies.

Detection of Doppler effect and aberration in the CMB (that's the cold, leftover light from the big bang).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.