Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for CSS/Javascript help to develop 3D image library
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Image Processing Techniques
elakdawalla
Hi folks, I'm hoping I can find a volunteer with some CSS and Javascript skills to help me with a small project for planetary.org that will enable us to serve a useful 3D image library from the Planetary Society website. I don't think this should be too difficult or too big a project but it's a little beyond my skill. Since this would primarily be a service provided for the UMSF community I figured it was OK to seek help here smile.gif

Here are the details...

I need somebody to develop some CSS and, if necessary, Javascript code in order that I can do some tricky display of 3D images. I would like to embed an image in a blog entry and then have a clickable interface (via links or buttons or some other method) to have it swap in images -- within the body of the blog entry -- using different 3D viewing modes as requested by the user; clicking on the image itself will pop up either a lightbox or a separate full-screen browser window that will display the full-size image on a dark, non-distracting background.

I am building a "3D image" content type for our CMS with fields that will contain links to different versions of the same image (anaglyph, flicker gif, left/right pairs as separate files for display as either cross-eyed or parallel-eyed stereo), in a range of sizes appropriate for embedding within the existing display templates on our website. I'd embed just one of these in the blog entry -- probably the anaglyph, as that provides a quick visual cue that "there is a 3D image here". But I know most people don't have 3D glasses and I'd like to give them a way to switch the image to one that they can see in 3D.

If I can make this work well, I'd be building a nice searchable library of 3D images available in multiple viewing modes, drawing heavily on material posted here.

While I do have someone at TPS who's capable of doing this work, he has higher priorities. I can and will do the work to build the content type/image database but my CSS skills are pretty poor.

If you think you can help me out, send me an email at blog@planetary.org.
JohnVV
I would love to help
BUT
java/java-script is not my thing, css yes but not java

however an idea
you might want to use html5 and NOT JS
or even webkit

but my skills are not up to par any more with the new codding being used

good luck
I would love to see some 3d on the site
elakdawalla
Thanks, but actually someone quickly stepped up with code -- we've just had a few other fires to put out behind the scenes on our website that have prevented me from moving forward with this project. I'm hoping to roll this out as soon as possible.
elakdawalla
Here is the first blog post to feature this new display behavior for a 3D image. It needs some refinement to make it easier for the user to understand what's going on but all the parts are there. Here is an individual 3D image displayed with all its possible stereo viewing versions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.