Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An interesting find, but where?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
gndonald
I was leafing through a recently located copy of Joan D. Vinge's 1985 story collection "Phoenix in the Ashes", one story 'Voices from the dust' is set on Mars specifically "...where the sub-canyons of Capri Chasm (Chasma?) and Gangis Chasm (Ganges Chasma?) intersected..." (Brackets are where I think either the author or publisher made a mistake with the naming.). The authors notes indicate that she based the terrain on Mariner (Presumably Mariner 9) rather than Viking photographs.

I've done a very superficial websearch and have only turned up some combined images of the Valles Marineris which don't seem to cover the area she was using, at the risk of sounding ignorant I thought I'd ask for some pointers on image searching as I'd love to compare the pictures she used with some of the more recent images of the same area.

machi
Mars Orbital Data Explorer is very good for this purpose.
It contains location information for images from new missions, even from Viking Orbiter (but not from Mariner 9).
Phil Stooke
Alternatively, go here:

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Page/mars1to5mMOLA

Specifically MC-19 (Margaritifer Sinus) - where the meeting of the two features is at the left edge.

Phil

PS - this only shows the area. Rereading the first post, maybe what was wanted was access to Mariner 9 images. The raw data are online but not in any searchable form. Sorry!
gndonald
Mod: Excessive quoting removed!

Thanks,

At the moment I'm just trying to get a rough idea of where she set the story. It's a pity that the Mariner 9 images are not searchable, but the later ones should suffice. Looks like I might need MC-18(Coprates) as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.