Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atlas of the Moon - any recommendations?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Seryddwr
Just a quick question, as GRAIL got me thinking: can anybody here recommend a good, up-to-date atlas of the Moon? Ideally, what I'm looking for is something in the format of the 1969 Times atlas, i.e. not photographic, but laid out something like a terrestrial atlas. I’d also like something that had coverage of the far side as well if possible (if I remember correctly, the 1969 atlas omitted this), and locations of manned and unmanned missions, which really brought the Apollo missions to life for me in the Times atlas when I last saw a copy.

Is the Brunier/Legault edition of a few years ago any good? Rukl’s also looks great, but I've not been able to inspect either at first hand. Neither seem to look very much like the Times atlas on the page, though I could be wrong.

Many thanks for your comments in advance!
elakdawalla
If you just want maps, Clementine Atlas of the Moon

If you want maps AND every detail you ever wanted to know about lunar exploration including panoramas, place names, timelines, and other stuff you won't find in a Times-style atlas, International Atlas of Lunar Exploration. Expensive but worth it.
Seryddwr
Oh, blimey... Time to empty the penny jar!

Many thanks for the recs; these are going on the 'to buy' list. And kudos on your blog, BTW, which does so much to bring space exploration to the attention of the public (and helps to educate interested but physics/geology/astrobiology/science in general-deficient duffers like myself!).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.