Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SPRINT-A
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Beyond.... > Telescopic Observations
Paolo
due for launch next summer, a Japanese small sat to observe Venus, Mars and Jupiter in the ultraviolet
http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/e/enterp/missions/sss/sprint-a.shtml
tedstryk
QUOTE (Paolo @ Oct 31 2012, 10:20 PM) *
due for launch next summer, a Japanese small sat to observe Venus, Mars and Jupiter in the ultraviolet
http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/e/enterp/missions/sss/sprint-a.shtml

Wow, I had no idea.
0101Morpheus
Any idea what the mission objectives are besides being a stepping stone for the JAXA?
Astro0
Google is your friend here.
Take a look at the page on the JAXA website (Google Translate version)
http://bit.ly/U5n3TG
machi
Another informations about this mission are in this EPSC abstract..
BTW, thanks Paolo for information, I was completely unaware of this mission.
Cosmic Penguin
Bumping this thread since this small telescope is heading to space tomorrow (granted my interest is mainly with the rocket carrying it to space; however I would also like to see what observations are planned with this mission). smile.gif

Apparently the 2 main targets SPRINT-A will study are the magnetospheric interactions and aurora at Jupiter and Venus, and the ongoing loss of atmosphere of Mars.

Here's a good press kit about the mission - unfortunately only in Japanese at this moment. Let me see if I can dig out an English version.... unsure.gif
PaulH51
QUOTE (Cosmic Penguin @ Aug 26 2013, 07:39 PM) *
Bumping this thread since this small telescope is heading to space tomorrow (granted my interest is mainly with the rocket carrying it to space; however I would also like to see what observations are planned with this mission). smile.gif

The live Internet broadcast of the Launch of the Epsilon-1 with SPRINT-A aboard will be provided in Flash format, YouTube and USTREAM on three links provided on this web page LINK.

Launch info here
Scheduled launch date: August 27 (Tuesday), 2013 (Japan Standard Time, JST)
Launch time: 1:45:00 p.m. (JST)
Launch time windows: 1:45 p.m. thru 2:30 p.m. (JST)
Explorer1
Coverage starting....
djellison
Scrubbed for the day.
PaulH51
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 27 2013, 01:19 PM) *
Scrubbed for the day.

update
JAXA cancelled today’s launch of the first Epsilon Launch Vehicle (Epsilon-1) with the Spectroscopic Planet Observatory for Recognition of Interaction of Atmosphere (SPRINT-A) onboard from the Uchinoura Space Center, because an emergency stop alarm was issued as an attitude abnormality was detected in the launch vehicle approximately 19 seconds prior to the liftoff time during the automatic countdown sequence. The launch had been originally scheduled for 1:45:00 p.m. today (Japan Standard Time).
JAXA is currently investigating the cause.
Paolo
first observations!
http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2013/11/20131126_hisaki_j.html (in Japanese only, no release in English so far)
dvandorn
Google translates the first paragraphs of it thus:

Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency is (JAXA), extreme ultraviolet spectrometer on board planet spectroscopic observation satellite launched by the Epsilon rocket testing machine to September 14, 2013 "Hisaki" in (SPRINT-A) (EUV) We had to November 19 the spectroscopic observations of Venus and Jupiter by. As a result, it was confirmed that it is possible extreme ultraviolet spectrometer (EUV) is functioning properly, and subjected to scientific observation.

In addition, prior to this, we confirm the functions of the camera field of view guide (FOV), and has confirmed the normal operation of the function to be tracked with high precision astronomical object.

As a result, "Hisaki" is scheduled to exit the function confirmation of initial orbit, starting a steady observation operation.

That by observing over a long period of time planet in the world's first extreme ultraviolet, to gain new knowledge about the environment of the planet, and contribute to the increase of knowledge of the human race is expected to "Hisaki" future.

-the other Doug
Paolo
this almost escaped my usual journal-combing: a paper in the latest issue of Science with results from SPRINT-A/EXCEED
Evidence for global electron transportation into the jovian inner magnetosphere
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.