Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 173 - Oct 6-30, 2012
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
toddbronco2
I couldn't find the Rev 173 folder, but for the benefit of those who are masters at stitching together panoramas, Cassini just finished returning a spectacular set of images taken during the occultation by Saturn Yesterday. It was a Saturnian system mosaic taken with multiple color filters over the course of 3 hours.

Celestia Video of Cassini's view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9t8cQl7tIc...eature=youtu.be

Created a rev 173 thread and moved this post there -- moderator
elakdawalla
Matt Hedman showed off a preview of this mosaic to the DPS meeting at the poster session this evening. Earth is not visible in it -- it is behind Saturn -- but he said that Jupiter and Mars were. Enceladus is there, within the E ring, but the angle is not as good as it was in the old one, and the jets are not visible. He said there would be another attempt at such a mosaic in 2013, when Enceladus should be at the ansa and hopefully we'll get a repeat of the view in the original eclipse image.
toddbronco2
It's to bad we had to wait 2 weeks, but the final image that ended up on the public webpage is still quite spectacular.
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/imagedet...fm?imageId=4703

(Edit: Official image is too green for my liking)
Ian R
Oh . . . . . . bother. rolleyes.gif

I had been tinkering with this mosaic, but found it pretty hard going due to the disparate brightness levels in the raw JPEGs. Still, for posterity's sake, here's as far as I got:

Click to view attachment
Tunglere
The image description mentions Tethys and Enceladus being visible, and I see them. A bit to the right of Enceladus is a smaller white spot; initially I wondered if this was a small moon, but I'd then expect it to be mentioned in the description. Emily's post mentions Jupiter and Mars being in the mosaic - is this one of them? There's another small white spot just below and to the left of the leftmost edge of the rings. Could that be the other of Jupiter/Mars?
Hungry4info
Could you be persuaded to complete it? Even as it is, I think it looks a lot nicer than the official version as far as colour goes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.