Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 171 Monitoring Titan's Atmosphere
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
titanicrivers
Titan appears in this August 31st image taken with the NAC and CL1 CB3 filter with both surface and atmospheric features visible. This image approximates the graphic in the Ciclops Looking Ahead Article http://www.ciclops.org/view/7329/Rev171
The image was enhanced to show the vortex a bit. There also appears to be a cloud bank between 50s and 60s, north of Mezzoramia and east of Tsegihi. (thank you Celestia for the grid)
Click to view attachment
ngunn
I looked at those images and thought 'clouds?' also until I went to the map and found a surface feature that seemed to match that streak. I didn't check positions properly though so I'm not sure.
titanicrivers
Hmmm.... you may be quite right !
(ISS map and N00194372 shown in blink compare below)
Click to view attachment
volcanopele
the bright streaks in the base map are clouds that weren't cropped out...
titanicrivers
Thanks VP for that clarification. That would suggest that the CL1 CB3 images on 8/31 were showing clouds in the high southern latitudes very close to where they appeared in the past years (as in the figure below taken from the ISS map of 2011)
Click to view attachment
ngunn
Oh that's worth knowing, thanks VP. So, how many clouds made it onto the current basemap? It would be great to know where they all are (as I'm sure you do).

Thanks also TR for triggering this topic. I'd have passed over it.
titanicrivers
At least for this area of Titan the 2011 ISS basemap shows the cloud streaks pretty well.
Click to view attachment
titanicrivers
A Rev 171 Titan atmospheric phenomenon on Sept 13th shows (in the CL1 CB3 filter image) possible cloud streaks around 60S latitude. This latitude also locates the outer edge of a darker band of the haze layer visible in the CL1 UV3 image. Both images are enhanced. The vortex remains prominent especially in the CB3 image.
Click to view attachment
ngunn
I'd noted that. I wonder how how often low tropospheric (methane?) clouds follow the edges of higher (ethane) cloud belts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.