Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Around The World In 80 Hours
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future
MiniTES
Just a heads-up (wasn't sure where to put this): Steve Fossett is currently engaged in an attempt to become the first person to fly around the world unrefueled while solo. The plane was built by none other than Burt Rutan. He's currently approaching the coast of Morocco; here's his current position, altitude, speed, etc.: http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer.com/M...ntrol/Tracking/
djellison
You should get the FS2k4 version and fly it yourself- I'm currently skirting around the southern edge of the Himalaya biggrin.gif

Doug
MahFL
Thanks for that heads up, I had no idea this was being attempted. I sure hope he succeeds. pancam.gif
djellison
He's just over half way smile.gif

Doug
MiniTES
Over Japan, approaching the Pacific.
MiniTES
Fuel problems... think he's going to make it? I would guess no, that he'll land in California or thereabouts and they'll try again in a month or two.
djellison
He's within gliding distance now smile.gif

This will be the view (if he had one ) looking over the S'brd tail at around 17:30GMT

Yup - thats the moon in the distance - almost like the moon setting over the earths horizon in A13 as an indicator of their entry angle ohmy.gif
smile.gif

Doug
OWW
Is that FS2004 Doug? smile.gif
djellison
Yup - I'm more an X-Plane and Orbiter man myself - but saw the addon at the Global FLyer website and reinstalled appropriately smile.gif

I have the full UK VFR Scenery for FS2k4 and have succesfully landed a chopper on my house smile.gif

Doug
lyford
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 3 2005, 09:55 AM)
Yup - I'm more an X-Plane and Orbiter man myself - but saw the addon at the Global FLyer website and reinstalled appropriately smile.gif

I have the full UK VFR Scenery for FS2k4 and have succesfully landed a chopper on my house smile.gif

Doug

Oooh - xplane vs. fs2004 - another "debate" topic for your new website!

Nice screenshot as well, Doug.
climber
Not sure whre to put the info, so I searched for "Fossett" and ended up here.
CNN says that his plane has been found: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/10/02/steve...arch/index.html
tty
So he was killed on an ordinary pleasure flight. That reminds me of what Chuck Yeager says about Bill Bridgman (of Douglas Skyrocket fame) who was killed on a pleasure flight out to Catalina Island:

"He was probably flying complacent and without his usual alertness. That's when an airplane bites hard."
djellison
I remember reading that he was out scouting for potential venues for running Spirit of America, Craig Breedlove's last Land Speed Record attempt car.
ilbasso
so...this topic is neither unmanned nor spaceflight...ahem... rolleyes.gif

Anyway - sorry to see the end of an intrepid explorer, but from what I hear about the crash, I hope it was quick and painless, rather than some of the harrowing escapades on his other journeys. I'm glad he died doing what he loved doing. Too bad it wasn't pushing the envelope this time.

Although, it has been pointed out that you can push the envelope all you want, but it will always remain stationery.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.