Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sun From Saturn?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
MizarKey
Could this be a shot of the Sun from Saturn, or just an unidentified moon?

Bill Harris
Hmmm, might be. It seems way too bright to be a moon. This image is W00005099, which is the wide-angle camera. There are "solar system simulations" that will let you see where the Sun is from another planet. Otherwise, I'll dig out my star atlases and ephemeris and see if I can intuit where the Sun out ot be and match up the star field.

--Bill
djellison
No way is that the sun. The exposure required to see the stars that well would have totally bleached out the CCD if it was pointing at the sun

probably just a highly over exposed moon

Doug
TheChemist
Any idea why this object looks hexagonal ? rolleyes.gif
Roby72
I suspect it looks hexagonal because within the wide-angle objective, that took this image are some girders mounted (possible 3 in 120°). Thus light that passes through the optics diffracted in way that bright stars (or moons) looks hexagonal.

The WA of Cassini is mechanical a Voyager rebuilt (as I recall) and the Voyager optics has some test lamp mounted with help of girders inside the objective.
Hope this helps !

regards
Robert wink.gif
Bill Harris
Doug is right; I was engaging in wishful thinking. My mental image of the Sun from Saturn is a very, very bright star, but much too bright for that image.

I have a similar photo through and 8" telescope of Mars (or Jupiter) passing through the Beehive star cluster in '92 or '93. The bright planet showed diffraction spikes and was in a starry background.

--Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.