Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 161 - Feb 9-Mar 1, 2012 - Titan T82
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
elakdawalla
Saturn storm watching, Titan cloud tracking at apoapse, CIRS prime during the Feb 19 Titan flyby.

For me the highlight will be February 21 high-phase Enceladus imaging.

Meanwhile, in the recent raw images, there's some black-and-white striped ones that are clearly the result of some hiccup in the transmission or reception of the data. I haven't seen this kind of error before. Anybody know what exactly happened to make the photos look like this?
JohnVV
That looks a bit more like a computer hick up than transmission noise for the Jan 29 images .
But without being able to see the RAW data ???? only a guess
Astro0
Clearly it's Cassini's interplanetary barcode system wacko.gif

Click to view attachment

Clearly I have too much time on my hands today smile.gif laugh.gif
Holder of the Two Leashes
Here is the Looking Ahead write up for Rev 161: Link
elakdawalla
Ack, forgot to include that in my first post. Thanks.
jasedm
It's a little disappointing there's no imaging of Pandora ~60,000km pass, 87 degree phase angle....

sad.gif
john_s
One way we're saving money in the Equinox Mission (operations costs (as opposed to science team costs) are only 60% what they were in the prime mission), is to simplify sequences, and that includes limiting the number of targets per orbit. Saves wear and tear on the reaction wheels, too. So sometimes we have to pass up on tempting targets.

John
JohnVV
a few shots of rev 161
things that "might" have been shot
or
Could have if you were in the same orbit

https://picasaweb.google.com/10269590129139...1/CassiniRev161
jasedm
QUOTE (john_s @ Feb 11 2012, 06:29 PM) *
So sometimes we have to pass up on tempting targets.

John

Understood of course. smile.gif

No criticism intended of the (I'm sure) difficult choices as to what constitutes best use of the spacecraft and its operational budget.

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Feb 12 2012, 03:28 AM) *
a few shots of rev 161
things that "might" have been shot
or
Could have if you were in the same orbit

https://picasaweb.google.com/10269590129139...1/CassiniRev161

The link isn't working John
JohnVV
The link isn't working John

odd it is a google picassia web album
i just clicked it using Mozilla seamonkey 2.7
and from firefox 10.01 and it works ,with add block and no-script running on both

oops, google changed the default from everyone to no one
google is starting to be a pain in the bleep
Juramike
Titan on February 29, 2012:

Click to view attachment
Juramike
Saturn in MethanoVision RGB[MT3,MT2,CB1] on February 25, 2012:

Click to view attachment
Juramike
Enceladus Image composite from February 20th raw images. (Mash-up of multiple images. 4 of the jet, and one showing the crescent.)

Click to view attachment

[This is not the image I was shooting for. I was trying to do a cool-o animated sequence showing a changing perspective of the jets using a crescent view from a previous image. But it didn't work out to be so interesting - the perspective didn't change]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.