Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 137 - Aug 24-Sep 13, 2010 - Titan, Dione
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
ngunn
Nice distant shot of backlit Mimas: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=225999
ngunn
Here's a really spectacular composition. Lots of complicated geometry and lighting going on here! I can't wait to see this assembled in colour. http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...2/W00065213.jpg
jasedm
The Dione flyby images are down, lots of faulting, and lots of non-circular craters too. example here
Beautiful.
ugordan
QUOTE (ngunn @ Sep 4 2010, 04:45 PM) *
I can't wait to see this assembled in colour.

Click to view attachment

RGB color, clear filter luminance. Limitations of raw jpegs included.
ugordan
Dione mosaic, 3 clear frames from around 78 000 km. North should be somewhere around 10 o'clock.
Click to view attachment
ngunn
QUOTE (ugordan @ Sep 4 2010, 05:27 PM) *
RGB color

Well, that was a short wait! smile.gif

Just a personal thing, I like to have the ring plane below my feet rather than over my head so I prefer your version rotated to match the raws. A particularly nice touch in this extraordinary view is the way the shadow of the far side of the rings (though itself invisible on the far side of Saturn) makes a gap in the light refracting through the atmosphere.
Hungry4info
QUOTE (ngunn @ Sep 4 2010, 12:39 PM) *
the shadow of the far side of the rings (though itself invisible on the far side of Saturn) makes a gap in the light refracting through the atmosphere.

Ahhh..... I was wondering what was causing that. Thanks!

Here's an fly-by type animation of the global images of Dione.
Juramike
Dione half-illluminated, HiPass GRN L (GRN) RGB (IR3, GRN, VIO):

Click to view attachment
Juramike
Fracture pattern and crater at about mid-point on image above via narrow angle camera:
HiPass L (CL1 CL2) RGB (IR4, GRN, UV2):

Click to view attachment
Hungry4info
Telesto transiting in front of .... Tethys?
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...2/N00162316.jpg
charborob
In front of Rhea (according to Rev 137 Looking ahead page).
ngunn
These must be some of the closest-to-edge-on views we've had of the rings. At first inspection I'm baffled by the interplay of light on dark and dark on light along the ring plane in some of these images. http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=226549
elakdawalla
You've got a short memory! At various times during the mission we've spent a long time flying within the ring plane, getting VERY edge on views. I did a quick search at the Imaging Node on Cassini WAC images targeted at Saturn where the sub-spacecraft latitude was between 0.1 and -0.1 degrees and found 880 images, like the attached, which is from February of 2005. If the Imaging Node Atlas isn't your thing, search February 2005 at the raw images website, and you'll find ones like this.
volcanopele
And that ladies and gentlemen, is how Saturn looks from its (regular) moons...

Please, for the sake of my sanity, tell your friends... laugh.gif
JohnVV
it looks like this from Enceladus at the current time and date ( well 5 min ago )
Click to view attachment
Saturn DOES NOT look like this from any of it's moons
Click to view attachment
...tell your friends... laugh.gif
--- edit ---
-- oops Iapetus dose--
ugordan
*cough*Iapetus*cough*
ngunn
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Sep 8 2010, 12:26 AM) *
And that ladies and gentlemen, is how Saturn looks from its (regular) moons...

Yeah, I've had the book with the Chesley Bonestell paintings in for the last 40 years or so . . . smile.gif

I must confess I only started taking a closer interest in the rings and ring images following the equinox observations showing all that spectacular vertical structure. Since then I've wanted to know how those features would look edge on whilst also illuminated at low angles. I didn't catch any shots taken very close to ring plane crossings during the eqinox period, but maybe Emily or someone else with search expertise (or just a good memory) will be able to point to some such?
Floyd
I thought that is what Emily did just 5 posts up? blink.gif
ngunn
That was a very edge on view (nice) but not edge on illumination. It's the two things together I'm looking for.
elakdawalla
Nigel, try going to http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/search/search.html, select Cassini under Mission, select ISS under Instrument, select Saturn under Target Name. Since you're interested in edge-on illumination, limit Image Mid Time by whatever span of dates around the August 11 equinox you're interested in (like for instance 2009-07-11 to 2009-09-11). If you want to be near the ring plane then click on the Geometry tab and scroll down until you get to Sub Spacecraft Latitude and enter some small range. Then scroll back up and click Get Count or Get Results under Product Search. If you don't get results you like, try selecting Rings as the target instead, or allow a longer date span.
ngunn
Thanks for that very explicit help Emily. I immediately thought "Even I can follow that!", so I tried it.

I didn't find any images from between plus and minus 1 deg latitude and within 6 months of equinox, but I'm very happy to have had a proper go at using the search system and I'm sure I'll return to it.
volcanopele
QUOTE (ugordan @ Sep 7 2010, 11:57 PM) *
*cough*Iapetus*cough*

It isn't one of the "normal" moons. It doesn't count. laugh.gif
JohnVV
the second one is most likely Tethys
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.