Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glacial, Volcanic And Fluvial Activity On Mars:
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > Mars Express & Beagle 2
TheChemist
These latest images are really impressive.
And the polar ice/frost looks very real biggrin.gif

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMX67D3M5E_index_0.html
chris
Those are fantastic.

I just wish they would release the images a bit quicker....
remcook
more...

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=16423

it seems the science from Mars Express is gaining incredible momentum
ilbasso
What is the scale of vertical exaggeration on these images? I know they used to exaggerate the vertical by a factor of up to 10 on the Viking Orbiter images. It makes them look dramatic but it's also misleading. It would be interesting to see the enhanced and "real" views side by side.
lyford
QUOTE (ilbasso @ Mar 17 2005, 11:23 AM)
It makes them look dramatic but it's also misleading.  It would be interesting to see the enhanced and "real" views side by side.

I also think it's misleading to generate terrain models using the stereo data, map your color data on top and then render an image from a nice dramatic camera angle. Makes it look like Mars Express is skimming along Mars at 5000 ft.....

I know technically it is an image generated from the spacecraft data, just as the 3D views of Venus from Magellan were "real" images as well. But it seems that ESA buries the fact that these awesome perspective views aren't the actual HRSC images but computer renders based on its data deep within press releases. I guess it takes to much explaining for the average person to understand the process and certainly doesn't sound as romantic! But I think it misses out on an opportunity to educate the public in exchange for "special effects."

Back in the day, we had to take our perspective images the old fashioned way: from orbit or flyby by pointing the cameras highly oblique at the target. It was tough and lo res and we liked it like that!!!!! These kids today don't know how lucky they are with their "pushbroom scanners" and "wait until it comes around again next orbit" stuff - laugh.gif

Mariner 9 views Olympus Mons

Viking Orbiter 1 image of Olympus Mons JPL-P-17444

Viking 1 Photomosaic Olympus Mons

But hey - I am nitpicking! They do look mahvelous! laugh.gif laugh.gif
erwan
Nice "illustrated heritage", Lyford. Though an adverse effect is a kind of 'i'm an old fossil' feeling, remembering these spacecraft images...! The wheel wheel.gif wink.gif
MichaelT
QUOTE (ilbasso @ Mar 17 2005, 07:23 PM)
What is the scale of vertical exaggeration on these images?

The vertical exaggeration is ~30x. That is what the caption to that image says in the Nature article. The article is freely available and also some others on the 'frozen sea' and young glaciation and a flank caldera at Hecates Tholus:

http://www.nature.com/nature/links/050317/050317-3.html

This is my first post on this board smile.gif What a phantastic place! It's just great to read all these current news, especially on the Spirit and Oppy biggrin.gif Thanks all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.