Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chinese solar polar mission
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Inner Solar System and the Sun > Sun
Paolo
as related elsewhere in this forum China has reportedly started studying a solar polar mission.
which brings us to this paper just published in the Chinese Journal of Space Science (abstract only at this time, full pdf normally available in a few days or weeks):
Sun Polar Probe Trajectory Design Based on Multi-objective Genetic Algorithm
tasp

As I recall, the original Ulysses concept was for 2 craft in complimentary paths sampling the solar wind at high north and south solar inclinations simultaneously. I thought (and still do) that the benefit to the mission was considerable, and I hope they might be looking at that aspect too.
Paolo
yes, the original international solar solar mission was to consist of two probes, one JPL, the other ESA-built. NASA canceled its probe unilaterally (shades of ExoMars...) and only the ESA probe flew. I remember reading somewhere that European program managers regreted that their probe carried no camera, unlike the US one...
Paolo
these studies seem to refer to the Solar Polar Orbit Radio Telescope (SPORT) mission
Imaging Interplanetary CMEs at Radio Frequency From Solar Polar Orbit (pdf file)
Paolo
possibly related: Trajectory Analysis and Design for A Jupiter Exploration Mission (presently in free access)
Paolo
everything you wanted to know about the Chinese solar polar mission SPORT
http://www.issibj.ac.cn/Publications/Forum...17963456181.pdf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.