Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 143 - Dec 31, 2010-Jan 20, 2011 - Rhea R3
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
Hungry4info
The latest article is up.
http://www.ciclops.org/view/6681/Rev143
Floyd
Some highlights include:

Jan 2: Images of the northern storm on Saturn

Jan 6: Images of the northern storm on Saturn

Jan 10: Titan from a distance of 934,490 kilometers (580,665 miles). Imaging scientists will be looking for clouds across the sub-Saturn hemisphere of Titan, as well as additional surface changes that may have occurred as a result of the large "Arrow Storm" that was seen in late September.

Jan 11: Targeted imaging of Rhea with a closest approach of 47 miles. Should be many great images.

S_Walker
Another nice shot of the big NTB storm captured on 1/2/2011. This images incorporates the MT-2, G, B, and CL filters to approximate natural color. Red channel was created by averaging the MT-2 and CL filters (40% MT-2, 60% CL).

Sean W.Click to view attachment
ZLD
Awesome work S_Walker. I wasn't able to get quite the clarity you achieved with this set. One note though, I think the clear filter image you used, was actually likely the CB2 filtered image, which is actually a little in the infrared at 750nm and the MT2 filter is at 727nm. So averaging them would give another infrared image. Regardless, love the image!
S_Walker
QUOTE (ZLD @ Jan 5 2011, 05:44 PM) *
Awesome work S_Walker. I wasn't able to get quite the clarity you achieved with this set. One note though, I think the clear filter image you used, was actually likely the CB2 filtered image, which is actually a little in the infrared at 750nm and the MT2 filter is at 727nm. So averaging them would give another infrared image. Regardless, love the image!

You're right- I misread the filter. Still, I combined it again using just the CB/G/B images, and I like this result better. Using just the CB, which is slightly deeper in the IR, results in less color contrast in my opinion, and since the MT2 filter is slightly closer to the broadband red wavelength, it essentially expands the wavelength of the CB data when combined together.
Still, it would be interesting to see the full wavelength set of data captured during these targeting opportunities. Unless they only shot B,G,MT2, MT3, and CB2 data.
Juramike
Jan 6 storm images are down. Here is a false color MethanoVision RGB [CB2, MT2, CB2xInvert(BL1)]view:

Click to view attachment

(3 frame animation in "Telescopic Observations/Big Storm on Saturn" thread here)

It looks like another upwelling to the east as the older cloud structures to the west start to curl counter-clockwise near the southern margin of the belt.
ugordan
January 9 crescent view of the storm's wake. WAC red+blue frame composite and unsharped to additionally enhance contrast.

Click to view attachment
Juramike
Saturn January 9 observation. False color RGB using [RED, CB, MT2] and some channel mixing and contrast adjustments (basically fiddling with it):

Click to view attachment
Hungry4info
Rhea flyby images are coming down.
eoincampbell
Thanks for the heads up for these astonishing images...Wow!
Hungry4info
Not necessarily accurate, but throwing some images together for the aesthetics of it.
elakdawalla
Holy wakka-mole, W00066279.jpg is an awesome confluence of moons. Here's the view from the Rings Node simulator. Cassini bagged Rhea, Prometheus, Tethys, Dione, and Epimetheus.

DrShank
too bad they dont have a star-tracker camera with a 30deg fov. the view on departure was amazing, with Rhea as big a Saturn with the rings and moons all around . . . not that Im complaining about the views we did get !!
antipode

Holy Moley that's an understatement. I'm not on a spacecraft, I'm on a jetpack only a few clicks up!

And that one with Dione and the rings - well that's going to be a 2011 classic even in December. Unless Dawn discovers an alien base on Vesta of course ph34r.gif
P
nprev
That multi-moon + rings image is already on the front page of the JPL site.

We really need new adjectives of amazement & delight just for the Saturn system; I'm completely cleaned out!
Astro0
Quick stitch.
Click to view attachment
remcook
just "..." blink.gif wow
charborob
Concerning this image: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...5/N00166754.jpg
I rotated it so that it can be viewed in the proper orientation:
Click to view attachment
It seems that we're looking across some kind of long deep trough. Does anybody know where on Rhea this place is located? Quite spectacular.
Explorer1
On the Planetary society blog there's a context image right next to it, near the bottom:

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002877/
charborob
Thanks. I check Emily's blog daily, but I hadn't had a look at it yet today.
Phil Stooke
Right - not a trough, a crater. Spectacular picture!

Phil
Hungry4info
Saw this recent image.
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...5/N00167027.jpg
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...5/W00066468.jpg

The night-side limb appears faintly visible. Refraction of background light from the rings/planet?
S_Walker
Another image of the storm, this time captured on 1/15 through the CB2, Green, and BL1 filters.
Click to view attachment

Sorry, south is up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.