Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CCD usage onboard unmanned space missions
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Beyond.... > Telescopic Observations
Lunik9
In 1969, CCD-technology was demonstrated for the very first time and the first use of a CCD in astronomy was accomplished by NASA-JPL in 1975 at the 1.52 m telescope at Mount Lemmon - AZ to image the planet Uranus.
However, I would like to find out which (deep) space mission was the very first to use CCD technology... probably an Earth remote sensing mission.

For ESA's deep space mission I guess this was the 1985 Giotto mission to comet Halley?
ugordan
Hmm. Galileo's SSI was an old design and it might have been the first to use a CCD, although not the first to fly.
tedstryk
Vega-1 Vega 2, and Phobos 2 all used CCDs before Galileo, although Galileo's CCD was built first (I think - not 100% sure exactly when the Vega CCDs were built).
Paolo
while not a deep space mission, the first spacecraft to use CCDs as far as I know where the KH-11 spy sats, which started flying in 1976
Lunik9
Earliest reference I could find;
1980: Russian “ Meteor I-30 “ satellite ( equipped with1-pixel-wide "pushbroom" CCD )

Still curious to know which were the first scientific/planetary missions to use CCD technology...

The post above yours has a reference to an earlier use, so I'm not sure why you posted that.
NGC3314
Hubble appears to have been the first dedicated astronomical mission to use CCDs (not surprising since the project paid for a lot of development, which also produced spinoff detectors for many other projects including the first numerous ground-based astronomical CCDs, the 800x800 TI chips). Launched 1990, the CCDs (though probably not everything else) would have been ready for the original 1986 date. So far, that would put the Vegas and Giotto as the first CCD science uses actually in space.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.