Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Titan Sar
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
alan
I wonder when we will see the rest of this SAR pass at full resolution
Decepticon
WOW! What is it? Radar map from Huygens?
volcanopele
QUOTE (Decepticon @ Feb 7 2005, 04:23 PM)
WOW! What is it? Radar map from Huygens?

It's the Cassini RADAR SAR strip from Ta
alan
Its the entire SAR (Synthetic Aperature Radar) pass from October at low resolution. So far I've seen less than half of it on the cassini site, just the prettiest parts wink.gif I found it here http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2005/pdf/2294.pdf
Decepticon
Whoa, I didn't realize there was more.
Fred
It's also low res in that pdf file. Where can we see it at full resolution? There are large black areas in it-- lakes maybe? Why didn't they post the whole thing on the Cassini website?
alan
The pdf was in a list of presentations for the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference from March 14-18, I suspose we will see a higher resolution version of it afterwards.
Roby72
Is it possible to use the SAR on other moons also ? huh.gif

Roby72
Decepticon
QUOTE (Roby72 @ Feb 8 2005, 06:46 AM)
Is it possible to use the SAR on other moons also ? huh.gif

Roby72

Enceladus would be a possible target?

Can it be used to look for subsurface lakes/oceans?
pioneer
Is it possible to use the SAR on other moons also ? 

I think it already has. Wasn't it used on Phoebe before SOI and found ice below the dark surface?
ngunn
A general query about SAR on future flybys. I note from Emily's blog that on some flybys the SAR may operate at 'less than optimal altitude'. I assume this means at greater altitude than optimal, and that the coverage strips will be wider at the expense of resolution. In view of the diversity of Titan's surface and highly variable degree to which radar and infra-red albedos correlate this may be no bad thing. I wonder if anyone has suggested doing some SAR from significantly higher altitudes deliberately just to get comparative albedos in radar and IR over a bigger sample of the terrain. Would this be possible with the instument?

I'm off on holiday now - hope for enlightenment on my return.
Richard Trigaux
SAR on close Enceladus flyby would be fine, it could be powerful enough to somewhat penetrate the ice and show underground water ducts or pockets. But I don't know if this is possible:
-The instrument is not designed for such a short range, could it work?
-there is a problem with the orientation of Cassini, which would at the same time use the large gain antenna and the camera. Camera will pass first, of course.
BruceMoomaw
They've just been using it for scatterometry and radiometry on the other icy moons, because those measurements can be made at a considerable distance, allowing time to re-orient the spacecraft to point its cameras and spectrometers at the moon during the closest part of the flyby. The SAR and altimetry can only be done at close range (I believe closer than 2000 km) -- meaning that if you use them on a moon, you have to sacrifice your visual imaging and spectral mapping, which simply isn't worthwhile for any moon whose surface you can see unobstructed by haze (especially given the small number of achievable close flybys of other moons).

Enceladus, as Richard suggests, just might be an exception if they make several more close passes -- SAR can penetrate (I believe) about 10 meters under the ice, which means that it might be able to locate near-surface water pockets. But this is a long-shot possibility for the extended mission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.