Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saturn And The Rings
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
DDAVIS
I have made a mosaic of the shaded side of the rings from RGB images (bless Carolyn Porco for considering RGB important!)

A reduced version can be seen on my site, at:

http://www.donaldedavis.com/2005%20new/DRKRINGS.jpg

Other saturn images are at:

http://www.donaldedavis.com/2003NEW/NEWSTUFF/OUTERSS.html

Don Davis
Sunspot
How did you line up the RGB images? I tried making some colour images but as Cassini moves slightly between images they no longer line up, and that produces coloured fringes around the planet and rings - even with the wideangle camera.
DDAVIS
I had to fit the perspective of the rings in each RGB batch to the one showing the rings against the planet. This was done by selectively rescaling the vertical axis of the other ring images to match. I also used a darker exposure of the planet limb as a 'mask' to correct the CCD bleed as well as to fill in other details on the planet which were 'burned out' in the exposures to see the dim shaded rings. Lastly, a bit of the 'F' ring was cut off and I artistically added it with the assumption that the structure was similar to the surrounding parts. The original is some 4K across.

Don
Sunspot
That sound's complicated blink.gif LOL......I think i'll stick to admiring other peoples work smile.gif
Bill Harris
Gee, Don Davis is about our age; I always figured he was an old guy. smile.gif

That first image of Europa is fantastic. It's the only image I've seen that looks like the surface of a planet and not abstract art.

--Bill
DDAVIS
Bill Harris wrote:
> 'Gee, Don Davis is about our age; I always figured he was an old guy.'
, Yeah, I came of age during the Apollo era and I'm glad to have been old enough to be aware of its significence when it was happening!

>That first image of Europa is fantastic. It's the only image I've seen that looks like the surface of a planet and not abstract art.

Thanks, I simply colorized it based on what color I thought the dark stuff would appear.

Don
ljk4-1
Astrophysics, abstract
astro-ph/0606123

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 17:09:26 GMT (825kb)

Analysis of Saturn main rings by continuous wavelet transform with the complex Morlet wavelet

Authors: E.B. Postnikov, A. Loskutov

Comments: 23 pages, 10 figures

A new method based on continuous wavelet transform with the complex Morlet wavelet to analyze Saturn main rings is presented. It allows to investigate in detail the resonance zones and reveal the coexistence of waves with stable periods and the wave trains with a variable instant period. This method is based on the replacing the integration of the fast--oscillation function by the solution of the partial differential equations. It is shown that such an approach is an effective tool for the study the radial structure of Saturn's A, B, and C rings. All the analyzed images were obtained from the Cassini spacecraft during 2004--2005 years.

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0606123
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.