Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 136: Titan atmospheric views
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
titanicrivers
While not up to Ugordan's standards here is a RGB color composite of Titan taken on Aug 7th. Images processed simply in Photoshop Elements using RGB photo filters. Views from 1.83 M km. Slightly closer views from Aug 8th may be available tomorrow.
Click to view attachment
titanicrivers
Composite image (N00160268-70) from Aug 8th. Cassini a bit closer than on the 7th, images are taken from 1.32 M km. Again blended in photoshop elements. The CL1 UV3 image was used as the blue filter image to better display the upper atmospheric layers. Multiple haze layers and the mid to high northern ‘notch’ appear at the left end of the crescent.
Click to view attachment
titanicrivers
August 12 four-frame mosaic covering the region between Senkyo and Belet.
Click to view attachment
titanicrivers
August 13th four-frame mosaic acquired from a distance of 700,000 kilometers (440,000 miles), covering the sub-Saturn hemisphere and centered over far western Senkyo.

Click to view attachment
titanicrivers
I wonder if I might ask the group a question: huh.gif
Click to view attachment
Decepticon
^ Dont let Hogland see that. ph34r.gif
nprev
I'm gonna go with "b"- final answer! tongue.gif

FYI, it's been asked before if Cassini was capable of imaging any part of itself, and the answer is no.
volcanopele
That's called a data dropout. That is an area where the data has gone into the ether. The data for that part of the image is everywhere, and no where. It doesn't exist.
Jason W Barnes
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Aug 27 2010, 03:48 PM) *
That's called a data dropout. That is an area where the data has gone into the ether. The data for that part of the image is everywhere, and no where. It doesn't exist.

And yet it exists all around us, binding the universe together. A moment of silence, please, for those bits of data that never made it home to the good Earth . . .

- Jason
rlorenz
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 27 2010, 06:37 PM) *
FYI, it's been asked before if Cassini was capable of imaging any part of itself, and the answer is no.

Unless of course you allow the quite remarkable image of the Huygens probe taken by Cassini
from tens of km away a day or two after separation....

Frank Crary
QUOTE (rlorenz @ Aug 28 2010, 03:39 PM) *
Unless of course you allow the quite remarkable image of the Huygens probe taken by Cassini
from tens of km away a day or two after separation....

And depending on what you mean by an image. If electron flux as a function of direction counts as an image, CAPS sees the "shadow" of the high gain antenna all the time. RPWS and CIRS can "hear" the reaction wheels. In one way or another, it is almost impossible to build a spacecraft which can't observe itself.
JohnVV
data drop out
Click to view attachment
moved the gama over and is is very easy to see
I see it all the time and where possible i "inpaint" the missing "data?" before mapping it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.