Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flights over Iapetus and Rhea
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
DrShank
just posted some more videos of icy Saturn moons. One is a small mosaic over the equatorial ridge of Iapetus, the other over Inktomi, the bright ray of Rhea. Also one of Odysseus is now online too!

Flyover movies
Visit My Weblog
ElkGroveDan
Gasp! Those are awesome. Thanks for sharing.
nprev
Amazingly cool. Iapetus just doesn't look right regardless of image or perspective, does it? laugh.gif Thanks, Paul!
ugordan
I can't decide which of the two I like better. Very visually impressive stuff in both cases. Nice to see someone else still paying attention to Iapetus biggrin.gif

Keep the stuff coming!
Bjorn Jonsson
Great stuff, especially the one of Iapetus which reminds me a bit of snowy, terrestrial mountains except for the impact craters.
Stu
Great feature on "Universe Today"...

http://www.universetoday.com/71552/stunnin...f-saturns-moons
MarcF
Another great movie released recently on Youtube: flying over Valterne Mons, one of Iapetus's mountains localized east of the "Voyager Mountains".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ovwr-B45A

I love this fascinating little world !!!!!!
Marc.
jasedm
Beautifully rendered - shame about the soundtrack, but very absorbing nonetheless.
DrShank
i went ahead and posted my version of that section of the Ridge.

http://www.youtube.com/galsat400#p/u/0/o6J69uqPVGY

I wish i could get Youtube to upload/display at full resolution
but it always seems to degrade them a little bit.

cheers
p
MarcF
Really great !! Thank you very much Paul for your amazing work. You really bring these worlds into life !!
I was just wondering, would it be possible to model the whole region from Valterne Mons to the "Voyager Mountains" (Carcassone Montes to follow the official nomenclature) ?
This would make an amazing movie !!
There are a lot of pictures of this region, taken from several angles, but maybe not with sufficent resolution.
BTW, Amazon just informed me that they sent me the "Atlas of the Galilean Satellites". I should get it next week. I can't wait !!!!
Thanks again,
Marc.

DrShank
it would, it would!

there is a gap of about 10 degrees long. between the two movies. it is filled by lower resolution data but it is blurry and oblique. it could be done but require some clever processing to make it look more or less seamless. there is a lso good data to the east, oblique tho. maybe if cassini project would like to fund me to do it . . . .
MarcF
Your really bring a surplus value to the pictures, so to the mission. Interpretation is quite easier in 3D. I'm convinced that it could also help to better undersand the very complicated pattern of black and white at the transitional zone between Cassini Regio and Roncevaux/Saragossa Terrae just west of the "Voyager Mountains". The Cassini Project should indeed fund you !!!
The ultimate dream would be to get a flight over the whole equator around Iapetus, but this is for another life since we won't get any more close pictures for a long time !!
Marc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.