Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cassini catches a star cluster
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
Stu
Very, very cool report here...

http://thespacewriter.com/wp/2010/07/20/ca...tches-a-cluster
nprev
Wow. smile.gif
Ron Hobbs
In a release from JPL on "moon-building" in the F-ring, they link to a nice desktop image of Omega Centauri behind the F-ring and a downloadable version of the movie.

Catching a Cluster of Stars

I'll add a WOW. I love these images of the Solar System in the context of the universe of a whole. smile.gif
charborob
I had a look at the Cassini raw images for March 29, 2009, and sure enough, you can see the cluster, but not as clearly as the image in the JPL release. They must have enhanced the cluster, or else they used images of better quality than the raws?
djellison
They will have used the calibrated process imagery that will eventually make it into the PDS>

As with MER, the JPG's are rough, ready, unprocessed and stretched.
ugordan
The data is already archived at the PDS and they said they brightened the stars 10x compared to the rings so no wonder they are more prominent than in the raws.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.