Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poster - Two Explorers
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Astro0
As regular readers of UMSF will know, Stu and I enjoy collaborating on various projects, most noteably quite a few posters over the years.
Here's our latest effort...Stu has produced his usual brilliant prose, this time on a work called 'Two Explorers'.
He compares Opportunity's voyage to that of Captain James Cook...very fitting given the crater Endeavour is named after Cook's vessel of exploration.

Anyway, we hope you enjoy this poster.
Click to view attachment

A full resolution (5.9mb) version is on my blog.
Nirgal
congratulations: this is just beautiful !!!
Shaka
Ruddy good show!
Stu
Absolutely stunning poster, Astro0, perhaps the best one yet. I'm always stunned to see how beautiful you can make my scribblings look. Thank you! smile.gif
Astro0
You're very welcome Poet Dude wink.gif
nprev
Wow. VERY nice, you guys; that's a beautiful composition!

Fav mental image: ..."silent cinnamon surf..." smile.gif ...brilliant!
Robert S
This is totally AMAZING and BRILLIANT! Stu and Astro0, I am both impressed and touched.

Excellent excellent work.

charborob
Did you notice the dotted line along the edge of Endeavour? Oppy's future explorations, I suppose? Notice that the dotted line doesn't stop, but leads off the image to other unknowns.
Astro0
Glad that you picked that with the dotted line. Sailing further into unknown 'waters'. That's the story of both Rovers.
Did you spot the map Cook has on his table? wink.gif
Hungry4info
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jul 11 2010, 09:46 PM) *
Did you spot the map Cook has on his table? wink.gif

Ahh I did not notice that the first time I saw it. laugh.gif
Bobby
Very nice indeed and I would have the Rovers Path go into the crater and keep on going to the other side and beyond. By 2014 Portugal will win The World Cup and Opportunity will be leaving Endeavor and heading on to meet MSL to shake hands rolleyes.gif .
vikingmars
Astro0 and Stu, your make-up of this poster "à la 19ème siècle" is very nice indeed. As if I was looking to an old book purchased in an antiques bookshop. How nice again. Thanks ! smile.gif
fredk
QUOTE (Bobby @ Jul 12 2010, 08:27 AM) *
I would have the Rovers Path go into the crater

I'd have her summit at least one of the Endeavour hills... wink.gif

To fully appreciate how impressive a job this is, have a look at the original. Before I saw that, I wasn't sure how much of the map was faked, and I had no idea Cook's hat was there originally!
Steve Holtam
Awesome work guys!
Oersted
Lovely! - Where did you find such a hi-res image of the Cook painting?
Astro0
> hires image of Cook?

Google is good for stuff like that smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.