Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Best Images
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Tech, General and Imagery
djellison
I'm doing a lecture at the Uni of Leicester's Astronomy Society on Wednesday..I'm gathering a few vids, many of my own mosaics etc but what would you considre unmissable imagery in telling the story of the two rovers to date?

For me - the images I HAVE to include are...

Inital Pans for both rovers

Brushing Adirondack and the empty-nest mosaic
Middle Ground
Imagery at Bonneville
that rock on the way out of bonneville
the pan and trench position at half way to the hills
the foot of the hills
Clovis
Rim of Gusev Crater
The Turkey pan ( newly released )
Imagery up toward Larrys Lookout
the two MOC images of Tracks
the MOC anaglyph of the columbia hills

mosaics of the outcropping including MI mosaics of the layering
empty-nest pan
the Lion King Panorama, featuring the heatshield, backshell and endurance
Anatolia
Fram crater
Endurance from Fram and closer
L7 mosaics of the tracks back toward Fram and Eagle
Pan position one and two for End. crater
Anaglyph of Hazcam at the rim of Endurance crater
Burns Cliff Pan
Image back up the rim looking at rat holes
Imagery at the Heatshield including MI images
MOC imagery of the tracks and down to Victoria

I dont have long so it has to be fairly 'abridged'

I've also got video footage of the rover being tested on the ground at KSC, the EDL animation, and Opportuinty from chute openeing to rolling on the ground at the mission control centre smile.gif

Doug
dot.dk
What about the 'Cahokia' panorama? That's really amazing

http://marsrover.nasa.gov/gallery/press/sp...-A249R1_br2.jpg
OWW
If you want to point out in your lecture that the Columbia Hills are layered, you should show pictures of 'Pot of Gold', 'Tetl' or 'Palenque'.

Take your pick:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre..._P2594_L257.jpg
http://www.lyle.org/mars/imagery/color/2-149802813-6.jpg
http://www.lyle.org/mars/imagery/color/2-150255017-6.jpg
http://www.lyle.org/mars/imagery/color/2-149890313-6.jpg
djellison
Thats what I mean by Clovis really

smile.gif

Doug
OWW
QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 5 2005, 05:09 PM)
Thats what I mean by Clovis really

smile.gif

Doug

Ok. Just wanted to point out that Clovis doesn't look very layered.
BTW, don't know how much time you have, but a Phobos or Deimos eclipse of the sun would be fun.
dot.dk
I think Doug was pointing to the Cahokia Pan smile.gif
djellison
Yup - they spent months at Clovis - and then when they release a panorama, they call it after a rock they moved to about half a meter away tongue.gif

Doug
Nix
You've probably seen the images but here's an anaglyph; one of many impressive views that can be assembled from above West Spur. The detail on the horizon is quite amazing. One can see some kind of wall several meters high that separates the area Spirit is in with a elevated area extending towards the mesas and the height at one point of the Gusev Rim that can be seen here is really impressive. The anaglyph here has been enhanced for horizon-detail but you really should take a look at it yourself and see it in high-res.
I think (if you could hand out red/blue glasses) that these views are really impressive; they give a good idea considering the distance we're looking from of just how tall a crater like Gusev-and its rim appears to be.
djellison
Thats a good one - what sol was that?

I have a big stash of red-green glasses ( best design for the more 'yellow' anaglyphs I do ) - but a Red-Cyan analgyph can be made red-green just by turning down the blue channel in Photoshop smile.gif

Doug
Nix
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/spirit_n310.html

There's a few interesting sols before and after for viewing the horizon. I really love these viewpoints! The top of Husband Hill awaits...
djellison
Well - it went very VERY well

I had far too many slides, and I went hiddeously over on time, but I gave everyone a chance to leave at about half-time if they needed to get away, and no one left. Not only that, but I've been invited back for an update around Easter.

smile.gif

Doug
MizarKey
QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 10 2005, 01:47 AM)
Well - it went very VERY well

I had far too many slides, and I went hiddeously over on time, but I gave everyone a chance to leave at about half-time if they needed to get away, and no one left. Not only that, but I've been invited back for an update around Easter.

smile.gif

Doug

Congratulations! Did you provide the red/green glasses for the anaglyphs? The 3D aspect of the Rover's is what really makes this mission the most exciting for me. I loved Sojourner and the animated gifs of it moving around, but being able to really see all of the depth in the Rover images is amazing.

For the next rovers they should have a camera that extends behind the rover but is foward facing to do nothing but take movies of it traveling...so we can make those 100 day sol movies but they'd flow and be way cool. We don't need no stinking science! Just cool videos from the surface. cool.gif

Eric P / MizarKey
djellison
Yup - I bought a lot of glasses and took them with me - I think the anaglyph from right on the rim of Endurance at Pan Pos 2 was probably the shot of the whole talk smile.gif

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.