Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Geomorphology of Cape York and Solander Point
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Stu
Everyone, say hello to Cape York... in colour...

Click to view attachment

Larger version on my blog: http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2010/...-york-in-colour

ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 6 2010, 12:52 PM) *
Everyone, say hello to Cape York... in colour...

Thanks Stu. I've got my route and investigation sites all picked out. Only thing left now is getting my hands on the controls.
algorimancer
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 6 2010, 01:52 PM) *
...Cape York... in colour...

This is a great picture, with fascinating geology going on.

For instance, being a crater rim, I would not expect neat layering; I find it difficult to explain the "ringing" about Cape York in a manner other than waterlines. I see at least 4 major levels. I'd love to see this in 3D.

At the upper end there is a steep wedge-shaped incision (see highlighted image below). Note that the wedge cuts through at least two of the "rings", and appears to project a fair distance to the north (?). I'm inclined interpret it as a landslide, but having difficulty with the mechanism; I suppose it could be an eroded fracture. In the highlighted image, the point of the wedge has its origin between the highlighted green and blue rings; this region is very smooth, such that I am tempted to interpret it as the remains of a beach. Sheer speculation, of course smile.gif Overall, the northern end of Cape York looks the most interesting, and I very much look forward to a pic from Oppy looking down on the Wedge.

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Those rings - don't think waterlines, the topography doesn't work - it's on a slope. Think instead: a very ancient crater rim that has had multiple layers of sediment (ejecta, windblown sand or dust, volcanic ash, etc.) deposited, cemented by fluctuating ground waters, and then differentially eroded. We see the end product of multiple depositional and erosional events.

Phil
walfy
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 7 2010, 10:18 AM) *
We see the end product of multiple depositional and erosional events.

Eroded by wind only – is that right?
algorimancer
This sounds sensible, with the caveat that slopes may be historically variable. You're almost certainly correct, though with the presence of groundwater presumed historically in the region where Oppy has heretofore traversed, and with (at least the interior of) Endeavour being dramatically lower, I would hesitate to definitively rule-out surface water until we get some on-the-ground verification. Aside from that, I'm still really intrigued by the Wedge.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Jul 7 2010, 10:37 AM) *
At the upper end there is a steep wedge-shaped incision (see highlighted image below).

With regard to the "wedge-shaped" cut...if you ask me I see a sinuous channel above the wedge and slightly east that you can follow up to the two depressions at the top of the formation. I've been staring at this for months and (call me crazy, go ahead) I can imagine the whole region covered in a slowly receding body of water.

The rim of Endeavour would at first have been something like a circular archipelago. As the water level receded you could see how two lagoons might have formed in those depressions. They might later have become lakes or ponds as the water receded almost to the base of Cape York. If something caused those those lagoons to drain suddenly to the north, you would get a meandering stream on the slope, but when it reached the steeper ledge of the apron it would have been a more energetic stream or even a waterfall that would have eroded backward creating the wedge.

You can also see how the channel becomes broader at the base of the cut where the slope becomes more gradual, creating something akin to an alluvial fan or a mini-delta. If you follow on past the wedge you can almost see a small round low lying basin next to a crater where the water might have collected before evaporating or settling into an underground water table.
ngunn
Somewhere we have already had a nice stratigrapher's resume of these features but the interpretation there was that the 'waterfall stream' arrived at the wedge after flowing round the E flank of Cape York where there is indeed what looks like a narrow channel where the hill slope meets the 'beach' platform. Can I find the post? No. sad.gif sad.gif

Anyone remember it? We could use a link back to that, and the discussion it was part of.

EDIT: Gottit!
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=156342
Bill Harris
+1 on Phil's observation: "Think instead: a very ancient crater rim that has had multiple layers of sediment ".

--Bill
Stu
Some of you might find this useful... bit less blurry than the colour version...

http://twitpic.com/23b8o7
serpens
The rim of Endeavour is really eroded and the meridiani hematite sedimentary beds fill much of the interior floor. Since the crater is lower than the playa region examined to date is it beyond the bounds of possibility that Endeavour region did in fact have a shallow lake?
brellis
The pic from Stu's post 570 sure makes the Wedge look more like a fracture than a tributary or conduit for water.
Bill Harris
Any possibilities are, well, possible. We'll need to see what the nature (stratigraphy, petrology and depositional environment) of the bedrock outcrops is as we travel downhill. Already we see subtle changes and the gross appearance from orbital imagery changes towards the East.

--Bill
Drkskywxlt
What are the approximate dimensions of Cape York? Length, height, width... Thanks!
Stu
VERY roughly, 660m long by 160m wide. Height? Image is too blurry on Google Earth to tell.
algorimancer
A waterfall .... now, that's a neat idea. I'd envisioned a little rivulet gradually eroding the Wedge, but I rather like the waterfall idea.

A good stereo pair would be really helpful. That, or activate Oppy's heretofore unused (and undiscussed) JATO rockets to get there faster smile.gif
JohnVV
waterfall , i guess it is time to start to rethink my very old "blue mars" map so the next time some one wants to put it on a discovery chan show it will be " more" correct.
algorimancer
Well, I said a "good" stereo pair would be helpful. Here's a cross-eyed pair, using the last couple of images posted. These may be from the same image, for all I know, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting a stereo effect, particularly around the Wedge. Overall quality is not great, but it's something different.

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
I guess my reason for preferring a non-shoreline model is that I'm doubtful that an open body of water could have existed for long enough to create typical shoreline features like beaches, or that it would have been covered with ice, or that unconsolidated deposits like beaches could remain recognizable after all this time. Erosion might be slow on Mars but it can still have an effect on loose material. But I'll agree that other explanations than mine are possible, so let's see what we find. It might be interesting to consider what landforms or deposits you would expect the rover to see if this is a beach rather than superimposed layered sediment.

(PS this isn't distant vistas any more...)

Phil
Bill Harris
Phil, my take on this is the deposition of and differential erosion of strata of differing resistances, deposited as essentially flat-lying beds over a pre-existing hill. Use known processes and KISS until you have proof otherwise.

--Bill
Stu
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Jul 8 2010, 04:19 PM) *
A good stereo pair would be really helpful.

Ask, and ye shall receive...

http://roadtoendeavour.files.wordpress.com...-york-in-3d.jpg
Stu
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 8 2010, 04:39 PM) *
(PS this isn't distant vistas any more...)

I think discussing Cape York here is valid, as we're all just waiting to see it appear on the horizon as part of the "distant vista", but if others agree with you then I'd be fine with someone starting a "Cape York" thread.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 8 2010, 09:51 AM) *
I'd be fine with someone starting a "Cape York" thread.

So let it be written, so let it be done.
algorimancer
Great stereo, Stu (much better than the one I improvised). The more I look at this, the more I think "beach". Consider that, if Endeavour were flooded, with the water extending beyond the current rim (so that Cape York was an island), the big open deep water would be to the east of Cape York, and consequently the major wave action would be from that direction. All along the east side of Cape York is what appears to be a longshore bar, which might be expected from that wave action. This feature is largely lacking to the west. It makes sense that, as the water declined, water which accumulated behind the bar would channelize and flow through gaps. While the Wedge seems most prominent, I also see signs of channels to the south of it (immediately below the apparent small crater in the "bar", and a smaller channel at the northern "point" of Cape York. I see signs of channels feeding into these 3 outlets which are traceable southwards beyond half the length of the Cape.

Here's a portion Wikipedia's description of beach geology:

"There are several conspicuous parts to a beach, all of which relate to the processes that form and shape it. The part mostly above water (depending upon tide), and more or less actively influenced by the waves at some point in the tide, is termed the beach berm. The berm is the deposit of material comprising the active shoreline. The berm has a crest (top) and a face — the latter being the slope leading down towards the water from the crest. At the very bottom of the face, there may be a trough, and further seaward one or more longshore bars: slightly raised, underwater embankments formed where the waves first start to break.

The sand deposit may extend well inland from the berm crest, where there may be evidence of one or more older crests (the storm beach) resulting from very large storm waves and beyond the influence of the normal waves. At some point the influence of the waves (even storm waves) on the material comprising the beach stops, and if the particles are small enough (sand size or smaller) , winds shape the feature. Where wind is the force distributing the grains inland, the deposit behind the beach becomes a dune."
Stu
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Jul 8 2010, 06:26 PM) *
Great stereo, Stu (much better than the one I improvised).

Thanks, but can't take credit for that; I just used the IAS Viewer to view the already-existing anaglyph of the area, then stitched together four close crops of it. Thanks to the amazing HiRISE team for the stunning images! smile.gif
ngunn
Back to something I mentioned before but, since at last we have a special thread and more people contributing, here it is once more. It's about the beach/not-beach issue. One sure way to demolish the beach idea is to show that any hypothetical Endeavour lake would have had an outflow at a lower level than this terrace. If on the other hand the outflow point is found to be very close to the level of the terrace this could be seen as a 'fulfilled prediction' of the beach hypothesis. Lakes that drain can have levels that are stable for long periods, whereas lakes that don't tend to fluctuate or steadily decrease in level, militating against significant beach formation like Phil said.

I'm surprised that no-one here has seriously grappled with the relative elevations. I've made my own clumsy attempt and I think the elevations are fairly close - but that's really not good enough.
algorimancer
QUOTE (ngunn @ Jul 8 2010, 12:34 PM) *
...I'm surprised that no-one here has seriously grappled with the relative elevations....

It seems like Google Mars with the MOLA elevation database and overlaid high resolution imagery ought to get close to an answer. It's too bad it doesn't have the explicit capability of adding a water layer at a particular elevation, though this might be improvised (I'm afraid I just don't have the time lately, else I'd try it). One issue with applying this to ancient times may be that previously saturated subsurface/sediments may have subsequently lost water to sublimation and consequently altered the topography.
Ant103
Okay……
djellison
I'm wondering if you could take word-pedantry to another website. Please, just don't have that discussion here, yet again.
sariondil
I'm surprised that no-one here has seriously grappled with the relative elevations.

Here is an attempt using a DTM from HRSC data (H3198_0001_DT4.IMG), blended with the nadir view (H3198_0001_ND4.IMG). The hypothetical shoreline in shown in white. It is more or less equivalent to the -1480 m contour (estimated from Google Mars because I introduced some sort of offset during file convertion). I canīt find a contour that completely surrounds the hill in question, but that may be because of the resolution of the DTM.
Still, this contour line implies a maximum depth of about 410 m for the lake, and some lagoons along the east rim (anyone want to look for shorelines?). Also, at this lake level the hypothetical lake would just begin to spill into a large basin to the southeast (along the red arrow; the contour lines begin to connect if the lake level is just a few meters higher). If the lake really spilled in that direction, I would expect to see some channels; but at a quick glance I donīt see any.

EDIT: Used the correct data set now and changed attachment accordingly.
serpens
Trying to confirm a shoreline after a few billion years of erosion is a bit of an ask. What I do find interesting is that Cape York and immediate surrounds have phyllosilicates which would seem to indicate a long lasting, non acidic water influence. in the deeper areas around Cape York are the typical Meridiani sulphates indicating a second sedimentary deposition. In this scenario equating phyllosolicates to permanent surface standing water is really seductive.
monty python
Just to toss in my 2 cents worth, when I look at cape york from above, I see the black hills of south dakota. They're a bit of old eroded mountain range complete with a "race track" of the spearfish formation forming a perifery around it. It's what a billion years of differential erosion will do. I know this is a crater rim but the same processes would apply. Any assymetries could be due to wind differences or the way the original crater rim was blasted out.

That cleft at the top is really interesting though!!
ngunn
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Jul 8 2010, 06:26 PM) *
beach geology

I was using the word 'beach' in a very lazy way as shorthand for 'shoreline feature'. I realise that in a geomorphology thread that's inappropriate and I apologise for the sloppiness. What we may call the Cape York terrace (though it can actually be traced around much of the Endeavour rim) has to be a hard formation to have resisted erosion in the way it apparently has. The result of some sort of concretion process happening at the lake margin maybe, rather than loose material emplaced by wave action. Another possibility is that it marks the stable stand of an old water table from a time when the whole of Endeavour was filled with porous sediments.

I also have been looking for signs of an outflow, but maybe in the wrong place. I thought the lowest gaps in the rim lay in the general direction of Iazu. There are some channel-like features there that appear to begin a short distance outside the crater and flow away from it.
sariondil
Judging from the DTM I used in post #30, the lake would start to spill through Torres Strait if the lake level were only about 10 - 15 m higher. But the valley winding around Cape Tribulation appears to be lower.

Regarding the billions of years of erosion, I remember that the erosion rates for the last 2.5 billion years are thought to be extremely low (canīt find that paper right now).

Let me throw in two observations from my area: First, the South German Molasse Basin has a c. 15 million years old shoreline that is still, in places, a quite well-preserved terrace-like feature. And erosion rates are definitly higher than on Mars! I will look for numbers if you are interested.

Second, since this is a crater rim, Iīm not convinced that the rocks of Cape York formed at its present place. The Ries crater in Bavaria (24 km) is known to have ejected relatively intact blocks up to 1.5 km in size. If Cape York were such a block, its rocks could have formed at a much deeper topographic level, and before the Endeavour cratering event. So, the phyllosilicates may have formed much earlier, and could be totally unrelated to the hypothetical younger shoreline.
ngunn
Time for me to take another look at the Tribulation channel, viewing it as a possible exit. (In my mind's eye I had it flowing the other way.) Follow this link for Nirgal's 3D views of that location:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=156417
MarkG
I have my doubts about wave erosion and shores, at least of a free liquid water surface during the briny times Endeavour was formed. I think Mars was too cold by then, any body of water would be mostly ice-covered. I do think that an ice-layer (maybe thin) over brine is worth considering. There could be a situation with the Martian atmosphere below the water triple point, but wet brine would exist under ice bound to the soil. If the brine started to pool, it would then evaporate, but the soil would stay wet, but no (or few) actual liquid pools. This wetness could mobilize the overlying ice layer if on or near a slope, and a little erosion could occur (remember the ramps and headlands of Victoria?). The rim of Endeavour has a different composition and is above the local water table, so it would have a different history. And any soil water would not have the same brine content. It would erode/be-overlain differently.

Remember also that Meridiani is not like many other areas of Mars, no other area of extensive Hematite anywhere near its size exists on Mars (there are a smattering of smaller areas). So its history is not the same as the ancient northern ocean.
vikingmars
Stu, your mosaic is great !
Thanks to it, I realized that one of the most interesting geological features to be seen on Cape York is "Dagger Valley" (outlined in yellow, a name I'm humbly suggesting) : a big incision with many layers surely to be sampled, like inside a small canyon. It exploration would complement our understanding of the history of past climate on Mars, as well as of Cape York itself... smile.gif
Click to view attachment smile.gif Click to view attachment
ngunn
Just a reminder - link back to Nirgal's 3D featuring Dagger Valley: http://www.thethirdplanet.de/mars_gallery/...5/page-0004.htm
centsworth_II
QUOTE (vikingmars @ Feb 9 2011, 05:59 AM) *
..."Dagger Valley" ...a big incision with many layers surely to be sampled, like inside a small canyon....
That certainly is an interesting feature. How it might have been formed, I have no clue. I'm not sure about the "layers" part though. If Cape York is part of Endeavour's rim, whatever layers may have existed before the impact are probably quite jumbled. I'm no crater rim morphology expert though.

Then there's that "freshish" crater on the South end, with plenty of large ejecta blocks scattered about. Those are not likely to be blocks of the same Meridiani pavement that Opportunity has been traversing for years, but blocks of whatever yet unexamined material the ancient rim of Endeavour is made of. I'd like to see those up close!

What a conundrum! The two most interesting features of Cape York are on the two extreme ends. I wonder if in the final approach, Opportunity will be directed to either end of Cape York or if the "landing" will take place near the center as previously indicated.

stevesliva
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Feb 9 2011, 09:16 AM) *
Then there's that "freshish" crater on the South end, with plenty of large ejecta blocks scattered about.

Caught my eye, too. If there's no accessible emplaced outcrop not buried in dust and rubble, that will be a likely place to look for some good rocks.
MarkG
The "shore-like" features around Cape York are most likely the result of a combination of evaporite deposit-cementation and ice erosion. [IMHO].
It seems likely to me that any Martian body of water would be ice-covered nearly all the time, so any "shoreline" erosion features would be dominated by this layer of ice. Indeed, glacial patterns may dominate. Probably some sort of snow/brine freeze-thaw/dust cycle.
Terrestrial analogs?
MoreInput
Just an intermediate hint (from Emily): There is a new paper, which covers all discoveries by Opportunity between sols 511 and 2300

http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2011/2010JE003746.shtml

Abstract:
"Key new results include
(1) atmospheric argon measurements that demonstrate the importance of atmospheric transport to and from the winter carbon dioxide polar ice caps;
(2) observations showing that aeolian ripples covering the plains were generated by easterly winds during an epoch with enhanced Hadley cell circulation;
(3) the discovery and characterization of cobbles and boulders that include iron and stony-iron meteorites and Martian impact ejecta;
(4) measurements of wall rock strata within Erebus and Victoria craters that provide compelling evidence of formation by aeolian sand deposition, with local reworking within ephemeral lakes;
(5) determination that the stratigraphy exposed in the walls of Victoria and Endurance craters show an enrichment of chlorine and depletion of magnesium and sulfur with increasing depth. This result implies that regional-scale aqueous alteration took place before formation of these craters"

I am very interested in this paper, but it isn't public mad.gif
Has somebody read it?
serpens
Try this link

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~grotz/Publicat...e_Purgatory.pdf

Edit: Sorry, wrong side of the ripple but may still be of interest.
vikingmars
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Feb 9 2011, 02:16 PM) *
What a conundrum! The two most interesting features of Cape York are on the two extreme ends. I wonder if in the final approach, Opportunity will be directed to either end of Cape York or if the "landing" will take place near the center as previously indicated.

Totally agree ! If they choose the southern feature, it will be more easy then to rove south and explore the other capes...
So, with a geological point of view I would go north and explore Dagger Valley rolleyes.gif
With a Navigator's operational point of view, I would go south... dry.gif
pgrindrod
I've had a look at Cape York in my HiRISE DEM and I'm struggling to get much out of it topography-wise.

Click to view attachment

It looks like it's pretty low, ~6 m high (is that right?!), with something (albeit subtle) going on with those features around the edge. But to be honest, this area is really pushing the quality of my DEM: it's on a slope to the East, the MOLA shot points are scarce around here, and the surface texture is a bit dusty for pixel matching. So, combined with the vertical precision of my DEM being about 30 cm (I haven't checked), I'd only take this profile as a general guide.

But it's still fun nonetheless! 3D views (with same health-warning) to follow.
Pete

fredk
This is great - thanks Pete. Have you tested your calculations on a known target, like Santa Maria or Victoria and gotten reasonable numbers?

How easy is it to do more profiles? Is it feasible to do several cutting right across Cape York so we can see if the results are consistent?

Anyway, such a short Cape York would certainly explain why we haven't spotted it yet.
PDP8E
Pete., your Hirise DEM profile of Cape York is very snazzy! Thank you. I agree that the cape is kind of
short compared to what the overhead shot 'implies' (and the fact the we haven't seen it yet!)
eoincampbell
So Cape York appears to be quite a bit inside Endeavor's "rim slope", I wonder when it will come into view, as sudden as Santa Maria ?...
pgrindrod
Let's see if we can get anything else out of my DEM around Cape York.

I follow the standard USGS way of making these DEMs, so I'm happy with the method, it's just that the results can vary from place to place. I haven't made one around Victoria because, well, it had already been done, and Santa Maria was just off this stereo pair. But Doug and I had some success with a DEM of the pathfinder landing site (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE_Ih0hgnlw), and I'm churning these out for my science at the moment and they match up well with MOLA, CTX, HRSC data. I guess Cape York is actually a nice test!

Profiles are no problem, but they're all pretty similar - the local slope into Endeavour just drowns most of the Cape York signal. That could be correct, or it could just be affecting the way that the DEM came out.
Click to view attachment

Here's a 3D perspective of Cape York, with a crazy x7 vertical exaggeration.
Click to view attachment

Looks pretty, but I wouldn't bet the house on it!
Pete
pgrindrod
And while I'm filling up the place with images, I had a look at the visibility of Cape York from where Oppy might enter my DEM area.

First up a CTX base DEM with Oppy (green dot) just inside my HiRISE area. It shows up the relative depth of Endeavour compared to the really flat plains.
Click to view attachment

Then a visibility map (viewshed) of the raw unfiltered (hence noise) 1 m DEM from Oppy at the green dot. Cape York is not visibile as we'd expect.
Click to view attachment

I tried one the other way around, from the highest point at Cape York and basically you can only really see into the crater. So I guess if I'm right we won't see Cape York until we're right on it, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.