Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Titan paper on Jason B's website
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
ngunn
Looks like lots of interesting stuff here:
http://barnesos.net/publications/papers/20...carus.Gmode.pdf
Jason W Barnes
Two other papers out in Icarus this month:

Mid-Latitude Clouds

Selk Crater

Enjoy,

- Jason
ngunn
Another just posted - on Xanadu this time. Thanks as always Jason.
http://barnesos.net/publications/papers/20...nadu.Crater.pdf
volcanopele
I'll be honest, I'm skeptical of this idea, though I am always happy to see people willing to go out on a limb and publish stuff on Titan geology.
rlorenz
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Aug 25 2011, 04:25 PM) *
I'll be honest, I'm skeptical of this idea, .

You are not alone
JohnVV
I'll be honest, I'm skeptical of this idea,

I am a bit more giving on the idea
a few things

roundish features do tend to be impacts ( not all )

The brain LIKES to see patterns in the noise .It is hard wired TO SEE THEM .

so ???? it might be but it also might not be .

But given the long term weathering ( look at the Yucatán impact basin ) from the air you would NEVER see it .
So it might be...
ngunn
And another one: http://barnesos.net/publications/papers/20...nter.Spring.pdf

Titan fans here may remember an earlier discussion we had about why Xanadu seems to act as a barrier to the eastward migration of Titan's dunes, and the possibility of a peculiar wind regime being responsible. Well it now appears that Xanadu is also a cloud avoidance zone. Read all about it in section 4.2.3 Special Case of Xanadu smile.gif smile.gif
volcanopele
EDIT: Sorry, this is what I get for reacting to a post and not reading the paper. I assumed they were talk about clouds OVER Xanadu, not mid-latitude clouds avoiding Xanadu longitudes. I still wonder if that is due to sample bias, since VIMS takes data mostly during flybys, and we don't have much close up data over Xanadu that would be good for cloud tracking.
stevesliva
So cool. Or relatively warm. But really neat... continent-sized depression(?). Determined to act like a continent.
rlorenz
QUOTE (JohnVV @ Aug 31 2011, 10:38 PM) *
I am a bit more giving on the idea .....
But given the long term weathering ( look at the Yucatán impact basin ) from the air you would NEVER see it .
So it might be...

This logic is risible.

Many terrestrial craters are eroded and indistinct. Therefore an uncompelling and indistinct
albedo patch on Titan with no apparent morphological expression might be an impact crater ?

How about this. Hyperintelligent aliens from Alpha Centauri when visiting Earth would probably
avoid making their presence obvious. I am not obviously hyperintelligent. Therefore I might be
an alien from Alpha Centauri.

Has anyone heard of Bayes' theorem?
Jason W Barnes
More of me turning UMSF into my personal preprint server. Two new VIMS Titan papers out in _Icarus_ in November:

Evaporite by Barnes et al.

Seasonal Cloud Activity by Rodriguez et al.

Hope you find these of interest! I'm biased, but I think that the VIMS/RADAR combined views from the Evaporite paper are totally sweet.

- Jason
ngunn
Always of interest. smile.gif

Regarding the VIMS/SAR comparison you refer to - I'm not quite sure what to make of it. The fit is good in some places but completely absent in others. It all makes me reflect on how inadequate our knowledge of Titan will be even after Cassini. The meteorology is sketchy (but may improve), the chemistry even worse (we can only guess at what the evaporites might consist of).
stevesliva
Makes a boat-probe more interesting, no?

Personally I am picturing megacrystals. Just because.
Jason W Barnes
QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 24 2011, 01:55 PM) *
the VIMS/SAR comparison . . . fit is good in some places but completely absent in others.

Yup -- I talk about that in the paper some. Basically some dry lakebeds used to hold solute-laden-methane (like saltwater), and others must have held fresh methane (i.e. freshwater). Hence some have evaporite deposits at the bottom, and others don't. Best I can figure it, anyway. . .

- Jason
rlorenz
QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 24 2011, 04:55 PM) *
(we can only guess at what the evaporites might consist of).

and indeed we do make such guesses. Of course the two different models
are widely different...
(EPSC abstract from earlier this month..)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.