Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rev 131 - May 8-26, 2010 - Enceladus E10
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
Pages: 1, 2
Juramike
Nice shot of Rhea against Saturn taken on May 8 2010:

Click to view attachment

This is the exact same geometry as Planetary Photojournal Image PIA10494.
dilo
Great catch, Juramike!
Is it an RGB composition?
Juramike
It was indeed. I was guessing it was a Cassini "Mother's Day" special, with Saturn, Queen of the Solar System, with her daughter Rhea.
cbcnasa
QUOTE (Juramike @ May 10 2010, 01:12 PM) *
It was indeed. I was guessing it was a Cassini "Mother's Day" special, with Saturn, Queen of the Solar System, with her daughter Rhea.

Nice work
S_Walker
Rhea behind the rings, May 11, 2010... I think the other satellite is in front of them.
Click to view attachment
Juramike
Three-frame animation of Iapetus from May 7th, 9th, and May 12th observations (May 12th is RGB, May 9th was colorized to match):

Click to view attachment
Juramike
False color zoom of Enceladus RGB = IR3, GRN, UV3. Lotsa wrinkly terrain, a couple narrow deepcrevasses superposed, and a splat crater with fresh white stuff.
(Note crater on left without the splat.)

Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
What the...?
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=216821

EDIT: OK, now I've figured out why it looks so weird. Low phase angle plus relatively fresh uncratered terrain. We're seeing albedo differences as much as light/shadow differences. Still, it's very weird looking!
Bill Harris
Yes, unusual. Islands of old terrane in a active spreading zone?

It is "RGB"...

The (temporary) jawdropper in this batch was the saturnshine/crescent Dione (N00153920).

--Bill
elakdawalla
Does this 3D work for people? I can't tell if I'm really seeing 3D or if I am willing my brain to see it smile.gif
Bjorn Jonsson
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 18 2010, 09:57 PM) *
What the...?
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=216821

EDIT: OK, now I've figured out why it looks so weird. Low phase angle plus relatively fresh uncratered terrain. We're seeing albedo differences as much as light/shadow differences. Still, it's very weird looking!

And the automatic contrast stretch is probably messing things up as there's probably no completely black space visible in this image - some shadows though.
volcanopele
Interesting that no one has mentioned this one...

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...0/N00154034.jpg
nprev
ohmy.gif ...Thanks for pointing it out, VP. The upper-haze ring on Titan is just amazing in this context!

Emily, I think I see 3D in your image, but it sure is subtle. Is the surface relief here perhaps a lot less than you'd expect from the albedo & illumination variances?
stevesliva
I think your eyes did not discern the solid surface of Enceladus in the foreground... or did they?

Unbelievable.

ph34r.gif
Juramike
Oh wow. Me so likey:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=216997
Astro0
An amazing series of image from Cassini.
What about this one blink.gif
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=216991
Astro0
Looking at that Titan image with the rings and Enceladus' surface in the foreground and then at the Enceladus geyser image, I noticed that the horizon on Enceladus pretty much matched up in each image.

So I guess that under the different cameras and lighting conditions, this combined image is what Cassini was heading towards. blink.gif
Click to view attachment
Stu
QUOTE (Astro0 @ May 19 2010, 05:33 AM) *
So I guess that under the different cameras and lighting conditions, this combined image is what Cassini was heading towards. blink.gif

G O O D G R I E F... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
brellis
wow! Cassini is building us a nice library for a virtual tour of the Saturn system.
Explorer1
Words fail me yet again!

Cassini, you're gonna make us go nuts if you keep this up much longer! wink.gif
Astro0
Approaching Enceladus - animation (forward/reverse)
Click to view attachment

Couldn't resist doing an artistic desktop version of the combined image.
Click to view attachment
ynyralmaen
Absolutely amazing images.

Just trying to interpret the plume jet images... although my brain tends to interpret the structure as being in the background, I guess the "lines" oriented towards the 8 o'clock position must be the shadow of Enceladus falling on the jets, so they're actually foreground features, not background, I think.

When oriented with the plume pointed downwards, I guess that means that the large plume jet on the right is all beyond the local horizon and illuminated all the way down to the horizon as seen from Cassini, the middle one straddles the limb so that only part of it is in shadow, while the source of the left-hand jet is in darkness, i.e. closer to Cassini than the limb, and it only becomes visible when it emerges into sunlight. Does everyone else interpret these in the same way?
Hungry4info
I agree with your interpretation, ynyralmaen.
Juramike
Multiple frame mosaic of Enceladus against the rings in high-phase glory:
Click to view attachment
fredk
QUOTE (ynyralmaen @ May 19 2010, 11:46 AM) *
the large plume jet on the right is all beyond the local horizon and illuminated all the way down to the horizon as seen from Cassini, the middle one straddles the limb so that only part of it is in shadow, while the source of the left-hand jet is in darkness, i.e. closer to Cassini than the limb, and it only becomes visible when it emerges into sunlight.

I think I agree. One thing I'd add is that it seems like much of the bright plumes aren't in direct sun, but are illuminated by scattered light, perhaps from the sunlit parts of the plume, or perhaps from Saturn. I've indicated with the black arrow a notch in the central bright plume that aligns with the shadow heading off to the lower left. Presumably below the notch (in the image's orientation) the plume's in full sun, and above (closer to Enceladus) it's lit by scattered light:
Click to view attachment
I'm still puzzled by the appearance of the left plume, in particular why is it's upper right edge oriented the way it is?

And I think I can see the central plume in the Enceladus/Titan/rings frame, circled here:
Click to view attachment
It's extremely subtle, which I guess is what you'd expect. When the exposure is set for Titan and the rings, the plumes are extremely faint.
ynyralmaen
QUOTE (fredk @ May 19 2010, 04:14 PM) *
... Presumably below the notch (in the image's orientation) the plume's in full sun, and above (closer to Enceladus) it's lit by scattered light:

Maybe above that notch we're just seeing the part of that jet that's in full sunlight, while the part of the jet nearer to Cassini is in darkness, so the integrated brightness is lower?

I'm still puzzled by the appearance of the left plume, in particular why is it's upper right edge oriented the way it is?

If the shadow of Enceladus is a cylinder, then if that particular jet is oriented so that its long axis (i.e. "along" the sulcus) is close to perpendicular to the axis of the shadow cylinder, I think that odd orientation can be explained. Maybe.
ngunn

And I think I can see the central plume in the Enceladus/Titan/rings frame, circled here:
Click to view attachment
It's extremely subtle, which I guess is what you'd expect. When the exposure is set for Titan and the rings, the plumes are extremely faint.

On your last point, I agree and I think the other two plumes are also marginally visible in that image.

I don't quite agree about some of the rest however - at least not yet! I do do not think we're seeing plume material except where it's directly lit by the sun. I think the strange shape of the left plume is due to it's lowest part (nearest to Enceladus) being in shadow and invisible. The edge of the plume nearest the centre of the image would be the nearest part to the viewer with more of its lower bit unilluminated. As it snakes off from there towards the horizon less and less of it is in shade and so it appears to descend to meet the surface. (All of this is MUCH easier to picture with the image the other way up!) We saw the same thing on the earlier flyby with plumes apparently detached from the surface of Enceladus where their bottoms were in shade. This is the same, except the sun is now just below the horizon rather than just above, so the viewer is now 'underneath' the shadow edge. ('Down' means towards the ground here.)

Regarding the notch - I think this is due to contrast at the edge of the moon's shadow on more distant E-ring material that we're seeing through and beyond the plumes.
dilo
Image composition from Astro0 is a masterpiece!
I made similar version without Cassini, different plumes color and reoriented south pole:
Click to view attachment
Original images are N00154031 and N00154034... I think this is one of the most spectacular images ever sent by a probe. ph34r.gif

Here below also an elaborated version of W00064072 picture (without blooming); you can barely see the plumes in the lower part:
Click to view attachment
JohnVV
And the automatic contrast stretch is probably messing things up

a bit late in the thread but not in time ( Yesterday, 07:27 PM
)

i find that a big problem . and like to do 32 bit tiff's and not 8 bit png's
Shaka
Thanks, folks.
Roll over and sigh, Stanley Kubrick. tongue.gif
nprev
Astro0, that's one of the most awe-inspiring vistas ever made...really makes you feel the majesty that surrounds our little robot. Thank you. smile.gif
lyford
QUOTE (Astro0 @ May 19 2010, 12:10 AM) *
Couldn't resist doing an artistic desktop version of the combined image.

And I couldn't resist downloading it! Thanks! smile.gif
Astro0
Cassini press release on the Enceladus-Rings-Titan image.

...Enceladus put its craggy face forward, exhibiting some of the fractures and cratering that have made the Saturnian moon a favorite of both planetary scientists and outer-planet mission groupies...

Groupies? Do you think that they're talking about us?! laugh.gif
Stu
Groupies? If we're groupies then where's the free booze and raucous rock n roll party?!?!?! laugh.gif
Phil Stooke
Back at my place, Stu!

Phil
Stu
Now we're talking! laugh.gif
Juramike
Stage dive?
mgrodzki
This message was originally in a different thread - moderator

How is it that “I” am the one to start the thread on this flyby?

What am I seeing here?! I mean… the geysers, yes… what the hell are those straight line edges? artifacts?

Click to view attachment
centsworth_II
This message was originally in a different thread - moderator

There is a long discussion of that image and others in the Cassini Raw Images thread. [now in this thread - moderator]

Also, see this Planetary Society Blog post.
eoincampbell
My congrats to the planners and executors of this astounding series of images.. and of course the groupies who have shared... smile.gif
Stu
New astropoem inspired by the stunning image we all love...

http://astropoetry.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/titan-rising
ngunn
Stu, I too love that image - in fact I think it's the most spectacular single ISS frame Cassini has obtained - and I enjoyed your poem. However a couple of lines surprised me, the ones about there being no sign of the plumes. On my monitor I can see the brightest parts of two of the plumes, centre and left, in that image. They're faint, but they're there, and for me that is the icing on the cake as far as this image is concerned. It's a bit like the Earth and Moon in that iconic backlit Saturn mosaic or Phoenix under its parachute from HiRise - so nearly invisible that you really have to look carefully and yet there they are, almost against the odds. Wonderful.
Stu
Thanks Nigel, glad you liked it. I must admit I used a bit of artistic licence there, just to make it scan better; bit of a mouthful saying "Of the plumes... well, they're very faint but they're there if you look closely enough..." wink.gif
ngunn
As soon as I saw that classic image I knew what I wanted, but didn't have the skill to do it. Basically just enough colour on Titan to dismiss the thought "Pity it's only in black and white". So I went and asked for help, with the brief: preserve the original tone values, subtly colourise Titan and leave the rest unaltered. On seeing the first attempt I've suggested a couple of minor tweaks but even if it gets no better than this I'll be well pleased. Credit to Daniel Weir.
JohnVV
like this
Click to view attachment
ngunn
QUOTE (JohnVV @ Jun 3 2010, 10:33 PM) *
like this

Well no, actually, that's pretty unlike the version in post 449 huh.gif
ngunn
Ugordan - you're there! I thought you might have a go at colourising that image. smile.gif What do you think of Daniel Weir's version?
ugordan
Well, I was kind of out of the country when that image hit so wasn't able to play around with it smile.gif

I'm a proponent of not oversaturating these images, but I'd increase saturation in that particular image. Not by much, just so the different colors of the blue haze and main orange haze layer stand out better. Also maybe making the empty space really black (removing the intentional detector bias) and adding a touch of brown to the rings. The F ring and any Enceladus plumes I'd leave white.
ngunn
Go on, have a go! Things don't have to be done while an image is headline news - we're not dealing in ephemera here. The tweaks I've suggested to Daniel are in the direction of your proposals but less ambitious. Watch here for version 2 from him.
Bjorn Jonsson
These posts were originally in the Cassini raw images thread but that thread is becoming too big and has evolved to encompass almost all Cassini-related imaging topics. It has therefore been split.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.