Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: French astronomer Honore Flaugergues
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Mars
schaffman
Anyone out there know the proper pronounciation for the early 19th century astronomer Honore Flaugergues? There's a large crater on Mars named after him. My best guess from my college French is Flaw-gherz, but frankly (pun intended) I'm stumped.
Tom
centsworth_II
QUOTE (schaffman @ May 4 2010, 08:34 AM) *
Anyone out there know the proper pronounciation for the early 19th century astronomer Honore Flaugergues?

Flow-jairg

"j" as in "jar"
"air" as in "air"
"g" as in "great"

From my french speaking (but not French) wife. I hope my conveyance is adequate.

(Note: a final "s" is rarely pronounced in french.)
charborob
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ May 4 2010, 10:58 AM) *
Flow-jairg

"j" as in "jar"

Its more like the "j" sound in "vision", not the "dj" as in "jar". The stress is on the "gerg" sound (in French, the stress is always on the last sonorous syllable).

The first name (Honoré) is pronounced "O-no-ray", with the "o" sound as in the English word "lot", the stress being on the final "ray".
schaffman
Thanks much to both.
climber
QUOTE (charborob @ May 4 2010, 07:15 PM) *
Its more like the "j" sound in "vision", not the "dj" as in "jar". The stress is on the "gerg" sound (in French, the stress is always on the last sonorous syllable).

The first name (Honoré) is pronounced "O-no-ray", with the "o" sound as in the English word "lot", the stress being on the final "ray".

Let me try this one (as I'm French). The "ré" is as in Ray (Charles) or X-Ray but without speaking the "y"
The "O" is as explained by Charbocal and the "au" of "Flau" is excately the same prononciation as the "O"; so, don't pronounce the "w" of "Flow". Then centsworth is correct, finish with the g of Great or may be also the one of "Guess" a bit accentuated; then don't pronounce the "u" or the"s".
Well, you'd better call me anyway if you want to get it right, it's an easy one! biggrin.gif
stevesliva
QUOTE (climber @ May 4 2010, 01:46 PM) *
so, don't pronounce the "w" of "Flow".

Well, duh, it's flow. We would never pronounce that ending w. Err, unless the word is cow or allow or avow. But not in flow or grow or callow or tallow, of course. wink.gif Gotta love english.

(And everyone knows that Jerry Gallo is dead, your honor. Just don't pronounce the h.)
climber
ah ah ah, so my English is not as good as my French...but anyway, there is "something" in "flow" that's not in "Flau"...if I can say sow wink.gif
schaffman
All this reminds me of the story of the French lady (I forget who) whose name was mispronouned publicly by the actress Jean Harlow. She corrected her, saying the t is silent, as in Harlow. laugh.gif
Tom
ngunn
QUOTE (climber @ May 4 2010, 09:09 PM) *
there is "something" in "flow" that's not in "Flau"

That's true in the south of England, from where we get (or don't get) 'received pronunciation'. There, 'flow' sounds a bit like 'fle-oo' and all the other vowels get squished too. In Scotland it's quite straightforward: flow equals flo equals flau, just a single 'o' sound. Maybe something to do with the 'Auld Alliance'. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.